Senior Data Engineer, Seller Experience
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s Growth team builds intelligent and scalable solutions that empower various communication channels, like Sales and Account Management, to drive seller growth and retention.
As a Data Engineer on the Growth team, you will be the expert on the data solutions that enable the team to build and roll out scalable go-to-market processes, effectively design and launch experimentation, and provide stakeholders with direct visibility into program business impact.
- Partner closely with data scientists, business intelligence analysts and machine learning engineers to power GTM operations, experimentation and a suite of analytical data products
- Work with channel specific teams to build a roadmap for foundational data sets and metrics that are aligned with business goals and that enable self-service
- Architect, build, and launch scalable data pipelines to support the Growth team’s growing experimentation needs across multiple channels
- Understand and implement data logging best practices to support our data flow
- Build integrations with 3rd party data vendors
- Identify opportunities to streamline, automate tasks, and build reusable components across multiple use cases and teams
- Create dashboards that help our stakeholders understand the performance of the experiments and help them make decisions
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or related specialization (e.g. Business Intelligence, Data Science, etc.) with a track record of delivering large scale data solutions
- Expert knowledge of data warehouse architecture and hands on experience of data modeling design, building complex, scalable ETLs using SQL and Python for a variety of different business and product use cases (batch and/or streaming).
- Experience with ingesting and transforming data from application APIs preferred
- Hands on experience on cloud-based computing services and data warehouses like Snowflake, Redshift, Azure, or similar
- Experience using job orchestration platforms like Airflow, Prefect, or similar
- Experience building reports with Looker or similar BI visualization tools
- Excellent communication skills with strong business intuition and ability to articulate complex technical concepts and explain data problems in concise language; versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job
- Salesforce (SFDC) experience a plus
- Databricks/Spark experience a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.