Senior Software Engineer, Subscription Platform (Backend)
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Subscription Platform Team is responsible for managing all recurring orders for goods and services at Square. Internally, we build and support the SaaS Platform that Square product teams use to sell services to our merchants. Externally, we power the customizable subscriptions feature our merchants use to sell goods and services to their customers.
Square leverages the SaaS Platform to sell and distribute subscription based products to sellers. The SaaS Platform’s mission is to enable Square to effectively monetize its portfolio of SaaS products by providing scalable platform solutions and a seamless subscription experience for sellers.
This is a big responsibility and requires striking the right balance between feature work needed by our partners, and reliability work to keep our service running efficiently. It requires finding a compromise between developing a simple and consistent platform, while also supporting specific needs that our internal partners need to stay competitive and address their customers' needs. We also own the management dashboard for our sellers, and are responsible for all transactional communication related to the subscription lifecycle.
As a senior BE engineer on the SaaS Platform, you’ll help the team build and mature our service to be responsive and reliable, and work with our partner teams to find solutions that maximize the value of the platform. Our platform lives in an ecosystem of other services, so you’ll need to understand when to build and when to borrow, and develop relationships with our dependencies.
- Provide a great experience for merchants subscribing to SaaS plans
- Support partner teams who list their products on our platform
- Help lead the design/development of SaaS solutions that are used by internal partners as well as our external merchants
- Lead by example and help foster a culture of positivity, psychological safety, and inclusivity within the team
- Work with other engineers and PM’s across multiple teams to gather requirements, design, develop, test, launch, and maintain features
- Mentor other engineers and contribute to the direction of the team
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to other engineers (both on our team and outside of our team)
- Help maintain and improve the processes we use to manage our work
- Be on-call for the applications our team owns
- 8+ years of relevant industry (or additional academic) experience.
- Experience with, and a passion for, creating and maintaining a platform used by multiple teams or upstream systems.
- Experience with complex distributed systems that require high reliability
- Experience leading complex technical projects, e.g. cross-team programs
- A strong sense of customer empathy and an interest in influencing the direction of the product
- Excellent software engineering knowledge and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
Technologies we use:
- Java, Ruby, Golang, Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails, MySQL, and Redis.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.