Deputy Chief Risk Officer
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We are looking for a Deputy Chief Risk Officer to join our team, supporting the European Square and Cash App businesses. This is a critical role overseeing our European Enterprise Risk function. You will report to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO).
This role will be based in the Dublin office with the option to work remotely from anywhere in Ireland.
- Work closely with the CRO to oversee the European Enterprise Risk function.
- Cultivate and embed a strong enterprise risk management culture across the business and assist first line of defence in the identification, assessment and mitigation of risks.
- Develop the enterprise risk management framework and related policies and processes, ensuring they meet regulatory expectations and are tailored to the business, while also enhancing operational efficiencies.
- Develop and embed the key risk Indicator framework.
- Perform analysis of enterprise risk data to identify insights and emerging risks.
- Ensure risks and business activities undertaken are monitored and assessed on a regular basis, and align with set risk appetites and overall risk exposure.
- Maintain relevant European legal entities' risk registers.
- Monitor the effectiveness of risk management systems including escalation and reporting processes.
- Oversee all outsourced risk management processes and third party serrvice provider relationships.
- Work with other second line of defence functions.
- Present quarterly risk reports for the relevant board of directors.
- Prepare any mitigation or remediation plans for risks falling outside prescribed risk appetites.
- 8- 10 years' experience as a risk professional at a payment/e-money institution, FinTech, financial services firm or professional service firm serving financial institution clients.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience managing projects and scaling processes with company growth.
- Experience collaborating and influencing across all levels of an organisation.
This role has been identified as a Controlled Function position by the Central Bank of Ireland. Any offer is subject to, and conditional upon, satisfactory completion of fitness and probity checks in accordance with the Central Bank Reform Act 2010.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.