Principal Product Designer – Trust & Safety
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
We are looking for a Principal Product Designer to join our Health (Trust & Safety) design team. Our focus is to create world-class experiences for our customers. We pride ourselves in rethinking established paradigms and bringing creative solutions into existence in the financial space.
Our product designers take a product, feature, or experience from ideation to production. This includes vision setting, designing solutions, prototyping, bringing along cross-functional teams, overseeing implementation, and collaborating with other designers, researchers, product managers, analysts, and engineers.
The Health team’s overall goal is to maximize trust and expand access to the Cash App ecosystem. Our teams help every customer feel safe and supported by setting a higher experience bar for account security, identity verification, and customer support. A Principal Product Designer is responsible for working closely with leadership across the company as well as cross functional partners on engineering, analytics, product management, research, and content design to drive strategic initiatives, up-level the craft and quality of our products, and work on complex systems design projects.
- 7+ years of experience as a Product Designer
- Extensive experience working on teams that build trust with customers or tackle sensitive subject matter (Trust & Safety teams or equivalent: privacy, security, equity, integrity, user safety, risk management, compliance)
- Previous work experience in a consumer-focused tech organization
- Experience in being a strategic partner to product teams and idea forming
- Experience working with company leadership and presenting to executives
- A passion for turning complex problems into simple and engaging solutions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An innate understanding of the end-to-end design process - from identifying customer needs, jobs-to-be-done and pain points to delivering exceptional customer experiences
- Strong systems thinker with the ability to connect the dots across the entire customer ecosystem both on and off our products
- Outstanding UX capabilities, strong visual design competency, and product thinking for mobile-centric experiences
- The ability to apply consumer insights and metrics to inform design decisions and influence company-wide strategy
- Comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback
- Competence in creating interactive prototypes and working within common design tools
- Strong collaboration and self-management skills
- Experience mentoring other designers, providing feedback and coaching work
Please submit a deck or portfolio of work with your application that showcases your design process from exploratory stages through execution. If your portfolio site requires a password, please provide us with it in your application or on your resume. Thank you!
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.