Manufacturing Test Engineer, RF
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. We started with the simple, iconic card reader that turns any phone into a mobile point of sale. Since then, we have expanded our hardware portfolio to meet the needs of more sellers. Although the technology inside our hardware is growing more and more complex, the end goal is always the same: elegant hardware that our merchants are proud to show to their customers.
The Manufacturing Test Engineering team at Square is responsible for making sure that the millions of hardware devices leaving our factories are built according to design and meet (or exceed) customer expectations. We’re a diverse group of engineers that use our unique backgrounds to solve challenging problems in our factories. We dabble in electrical engineering, software, mechanicals and data analysis to understand the design intent of our products and understand how we can translate it to scalable test plans. We are Jacks and Jills of all trades, and we thrive on having a deep systems-level understanding of Square’s hardware products.
We are looking for a manufacturing test engineer to own RF factory testing and development for Square’s most complex product to date. You will report to our Manufacturing Test Engineering manager and work closely with Electrical Engineers, RF, and Software teams to design, build and support RF test stations running in Square’s factories around the world.
- Design, build and support board-level and product-level RF performance testers running in Square’s factories around the world.
- Write and debug test station software.
- Understand the meaning of the measurements our test stations are taking, and feed analysis of these measurements back to our hardware design teams.
- Become intimately familiar with Square's hardware products and manufacturing processes.
- Research technologies for our next-generation hardware products.
- Develop test plans and test-setup prototypes for new technologies.
- Work with Square’s Electrical Engineering team to ensure our products’ circuits are designed for testability.
- Work with Square’s Devices Software Engineering teams to specify requirements for embedded test access and APIs.
- Reach beyond the boundaries of Manufacturing Test to make Square’s products better wherever you see the chance
- 2-5 years working in a technical field
- Familiarity with RF fundamentals and RF parametric testing measurements such as EVM, RSSI, PER, etc
- Experience with radio test equipment, such as: network analyzer, spectrum analyzer, vector signal analyzer, vector signal generator, etc
- Proficiency in Python, MATLAB, Labview, or similar programming language
- Knowledge in statistics. Experience using SQL, JMP, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization program
- Experience with hardware lab equipment for test, measurement, and/or prototyping (e.g. oscilloscope, power supply, DMM, etc.)
- Enthusiasm to apply methodical engineering problem-solving skills to dig into challenges that are outside of your expertise.
- Willingness to travel internationally, up to 15% as needed
- Experience with RF production measurement systems from R&S, Keysight, Anritsu, etc
- Experience performing analog measurements (RF, acoustic, optical, etc.) including calibration and control of systematic errors
- Experience reading and understanding electronics circuit diagrams and schematics
- Familiar with board-level (SMT) and product-level (FATP) electronics manufacturing processes.
- Experience managing contract manufacturing test engineering partners to drive GR&R, DOE, and Factory Test Dry Runs to prepare for prototype NPI builds
- Experience driving yield and cycle time optimizations
- Experience writing clear reports (Build Reports, Station Issue Lists/Material Issue Lists, SOPs)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.