Hardware Engineering Program Manager
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a Square Hardware EPM based in Taiwan, you will coordinate complex hardware product engineering development, NPI builds, validation, certification activities, and Sustaining Engineering activities. As a Hardware EPM, you will use your engineering background to identify technical issues and risks and use your program management experience to guide the team through successful development to product launch. You will work with engineers in all disciplines, other Program Managers in engineering and operations, product managers and strategic suppliers and manufacturing partners.
- Create and maintain a hardware development plan, schedule and budget for complex consumer electronics hardware products in partnership with engineering managers, technical leads and individual contributors.
- Build relationships with CM's to ensure deliverables are on track and all engineering requirements are met.
- Partner with Square Global Supply Management and Business Operations teams to establish and manage 3rd party vendor relationships.
- Drive first and second tier suppliers, integrating their deliverables and schedules into the project.
- Drive NPI builds onsite at contract manufacturers, ensure build entry and exit criteria are defined and met, collaborate closely with other members of the Hardware EPM team and various engineering partner teams locally and abroad.
- Work with the engineering, quality, and product teams to identify key technical risk areas and develop mitigation strategies.
- Communicate developments, updates, and problems to teams and partners (technical and non-technical). Lead and contribute to project reviews. Drive certification activities in partnership with regulatory and certification experts.
- Discern and implement process improvements internal to Square and externally with partners that facilitate self-organization and enable our engineers to do their best work.
- 5+ years relevant industry experience.
- BS degree in ME/EE/CE or related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with JDM and CM development models with evidence of increasing responsibility.
- Experience managing complex NPI builds with demonstrated knowledge of SMT, FATP, and NPI FA processes.
- Experience with the common challenges and interdependencies in embedded systems and the cross-functional development of custom hardware.
- The ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and to remain flexible in the face of uncertainty.
- Experience managing trade-offs given specific constraints.
- Excellent written and verbal English and Mandarin, organizational and leadership skills; ability to inspire team members.
- Proactive attitude with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Work across multiple time zones and travel internationally to Square offices and manufacturing locations.
- Taiwan residency, ability to travel and work onsite as-needed at manufacturing sites in China and countries in Southeast Asia.
- High degree of self-motivation and time management skills.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.