General Counsel, Square
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for an experienced legal executive to lead the Square legal team. You will lead, manage, and develop an experienced global team of product, regulatory, commercial, and international counsel to support Square's growing ecosystem. You will work on a diverse range of legal issues and projects related to Square's core business offerings, including payment and financial services, payroll services, lending products, and SaaS, ecommerce, customer and employee management products. You will provide business-focused legal guidance that manages legal risk and ensures regulatory compliance, while unlocking business development. As Square expands our product offerings and geographic footprint, your leadership and ideas will make an immediate impact. You will be part of the Square Legal leadership team and will report directly to the General Counsel.
- Cultivate and guide Square's legal strategy across several subject matters, including payments, lending, consumer protection, privacy and data protection, IP, marketing, and ecommerce to manage legal risk and ensure regulatory compliance while pushing forward business development
- Lead and develop teams responsible for:
- Advising product and engineering teams on legal issues related to Square's ecosystem of products and features throughout product development to launch lifecycle;
- Drafting and negotiating commercial legal transactions, including payment services, sales and strategic development, partnership, hardware manufacturing, procurement, and data processing agreements;
- Managing regulatory engagement and providing regulatory guidance on Square's products to cross-functional legal and business partners on laws and industry trends relevant to banking, financial services, and consumer and small business credit products; and
- Advising local business stakeholders on and overseeing all aspects of international legal compliance of Square's services offered in Canada, the UK, Australia, and Japan and Europe.
- Work with business and legal partners to manage risk and unblock legal hurdles
- Partner with senior management and executive leaders to provide strategic, practical, and creative legal advice that contributes to amazing product experiences for customers while mitigating legal risks
- Advise on or manage your team in supporting strategic growth projects, including M&A or other transactions
- Manage and lead different legal operations programs, including creating training materials, developing automated and scalable processes and knowledge management systems, and budgeting
- Chart the strategic direction of the team as we prioritize and expand product offerings and move into new global jurisdictions
- Be a thought leader for the Counsel leadership team, contributing to legal strategy, company priorities, and team development
- A minimum of 12 years of combined relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, or in-house legal departments
- Experience managing teams of lawyers and legal professionals, including team budgeting, strategic planning, and career development
- Experience launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the financial and technology spaces
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Strong executive communication skills (both written and verbal)
- An active membership in at least one US state bar
- Prior experience in fintech preferred
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $358,900 - USD $438,700
Zone B: USD $358,900 - USD $438,700
Zone C: USD $358,900 - USD $438,700
Zone D: USD $358,900 - USD $438,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.