Global Business Development Lead
Cash App has become the fastest growing finance brand in the world by making money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible for everyone.
We initially launched Cash App to offer instant, simple & free peer-to-peer payments. Over the past few years, we’ve meaningfully expanded the set of financial services provided to Cash App customers. Cash App now offers not only P2P, but also a free debit card, instant spending rewards (Boosts), a free bank account, fractional stock investing, and the easiest platform in the world to buy, sell, and move Bitcoin. We’ve worked hard to bring about a better way to send, spend, save & invest for everyone.
Our message and our product resonates deeply with customers. In June 2020 alone we saw more than 30M unique monthly transacting users. We’re consistently a top 10 app in the Apple App and Google Play stores and have held the number one finance spot in both stores for the past three years. We see more engagement on social media in a given day than most brands see in a year. Moreover, we’re building an ecosystem that redefines the world’s relationship with money and offers an alternative to users beyond the traditional, broken financial system.
Cash App seeks to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world, and with major hubs in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Global Channel Partnerships team creates and nurtures partnerships that unlock Afterpay and Cash App Pay growth, in service of Cash App’s ambition to connect consumers and merchants so that both may thrive. We work across our commerce product suite including buy now pay later with Afterpay and pay now with Cash App Pay. We develop the go-to-market strategy for our payment products, build effective relationships with the largest players in payments, fintech, and e-commerce and drive critical results across Cash App’s commerce business line. We are looking for an experienced Business Development leader to own our new partner acquisition efforts.
The Global Business Development Lead will partner closely with our leadership team and other business leaders to drive the next phase of growth for Afterpay and Cash App Pay. You’ll partner directly with our Product teams and collaborate with cross-functional colleagues in Sales, Account Management, Finance, Legal, Compliance and Engineering. You’ll create strategy for programs and deals critical to Cash App’s success, innovate at the cutting edge of payments, and deliver revenue that will have a massive impact on Cash App’s business. Your scope will be global across North America, UK, Australia and New Zealand.
- Distribute Afterpay and Cash App Pay: Refine and execute our channel partner distribution strategy to deliver impactful results. Lead end-to-end partner outreach and negotiations to deliver maximum distribution of our payments products, particularly with the goal of increasing merchant adoption of both Afterpay and Cash App Pay.
- Be a player coach: Coach, support and manage a team of seasoned business development professionals and own the end-to-end negotiations of your own pipeline of deals.
- Design scalable programs: Build partnership programs that both achieve our goals and meet our partners’ objectives, recognizing that “signing the deal” is just step one of a good partnership.
- Devise strategy: Create tailored, data-driven strategies for growing our channel partner business that account for the different dynamics between our products, our markets and the various types of partners we engage.
- Sell like a boss: Develop and deliver powerful sales pitches that educate prospective partners on the value of Cash App and Afterpay. Effectively influence senior decision makers at the largest payments companies in the world. Negotiate hard yet pragmatically, using data and principles to inform your approach.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives: Establish yourself as the go-to commercial voice for our business development efforts. Provide critical market feedback to improve our product. Drive efficiencies and improvements that accelerate our timelines, particularly with critical stakeholders in Risk, Compliance, Legal and Sales.
- 12+ years of business development experience, preferably at an innovative payments company.
- Experience managing a team, preferably in multiple markets.
- Passion for developing your people and creating a culture of collaboration, safety and uncompromising high performance.
- A demonstrated track record of success creating and scaling channel partnership programs, ideally in payments or fintech.
- A high familiarity and comfort with how product development works, preferably in payments. You hold your own pitching to technical stakeholders, and you have credibility with your internal product and engineering colleagues.
- Proven ability to build C-suite relationships and navigate external organizations both to identify internal champions and to influence decision makers. You are an expert negotiator with a strong understanding of commercial contracts and financial models.
- Sharp problem solving and communication skills. You’re a killer sales person and strategic thinker who comes armed to internal and external conversations with the right data and analysis to make a convincing argument.
- Deep comfort operating in ambiguity and frequent change, while still delivering results.
- An unwavering obsession with the details.
- A hunger to tackle complicated and impactful business problems and build best-in-class products and partnerships programs.
- A scrappy and humble mindset. You roll up your sleeves to get deals over the finish line and you’re not afraid to admit when you’re wrong or when you don’t know.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $217,800 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $217,800 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $217,800 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $217,800 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.