Head of Media Sales
Cash App has become the fastest growing finance brand in the world by making money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible for everyone.
We initially launched Cash App to offer instant, simple & free peer-to-peer payments. Over the past few years, we’ve meaningfully expanded the set of financial services provided to Cash App customers. Cash App now offers not only P2P, but also a free debit card, instant spending rewards (Boosts), a free bank account, fractional stock investing, and the easiest platform in the world to buy, sell, and move Bitcoin. We’ve worked hard to bring about a better way to send, spend, save & invest for everyone.
Our message and our product resonates deeply with customers. In June 2020 alone we saw more than 30M unique monthly transacting users. We’re consistently a top 10 app in the Apple App and Google Play stores and have held the number one finance spot in both stores for the past three years. We see more engagement on social media in a given day than most brands see in a year. Moreover, we’re building an ecosystem that redefines the world’s relationship with money and offers an alternative to users beyond the traditional, broken financial system.
Cash App seeks to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world, and with major hubs in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
As Head of Media Sales, you will be at the forefront of developing and leading our direct media sales function. Your role is to build and nurture advertising and media partnerships, charting the course for our media strategy and revenue growth in partnership with our channel partnerships and affiliate teams. In this role you’ll play both player and coach as you foster the relationships of advertisers and other cross-functional stakeholders alike. This role requires a blend of strategic thinking, exceptional sales skills, and a deep understanding of the media industry. This role offers a unique opportunity to shape the future of Block’s advertising and media relations.
- Pioneering the creation and implementation of the direct media sales strategy, aligning it with the company's vision and growth targets.
- Building and cultivating strategic relationships with media agencies, advertisers, and brands interested in advertising with Block and establishing the company’s presence in the advertising industry.
- Collaborating with internal teams, such as marketing, product development, advertising partnerships to craft a go-to-market and org structure that cater to advertisers' needs, Block revenue goals and user experience.
- Harnessing market trends, industry insights, and competitive analysis to discover new opportunities and maintain Block's competitive edge.
- Compellingly present, negotiate, and secure contracts, pricing, and terms with media partners, ensuring mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Staying ahead of the curve in the ever-evolving commerce media advertising landscape, keeping the company in compliance and at the forefront of innovation.
- Over time, build and manage a high-performing media sales team, including hiring, mentoring, and setting clear goals and expectations.
- Lead annual and quarterly business planning and performance tracking for strategic advertisers
- Experience building and leading media sales teams with specific knowledge of retail, QSR and CPG.
- A robust track record of surpassing sales targets and establishing successful media partnerships.
- In-depth knowledge of the advertising industry, with a particular emphasis on digital and online advertising.
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills.
- An innovative mindset and the ability to devise novel solutions for advertisers.
- Strong analytical skills to gather and interpret data, enabling strategic advertising optimization.
- Familiarity with the BNPL sector and its unique advertising opportunities is advantageous.
- Exceptional organizational abilities and adeptness at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- A self-driven, results-oriented nature, thriving in a dynamic environment.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $205,100 - USD $250,700
Zone B: USD $205,100 - USD $250,700
Zone C: USD $205,100 - USD $250,700
Zone D: USD $205,100 - USD $250,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.