Staff Product Manager, Order Manager
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Orders team oversees the platform that powers all sales and order management at Square. One of the big areas of Orders is Order Management. The Order Management team owns “Order Manager”, our flagship seller-facing product important for running daily operations at restaurants, retailers, appointment-based businesses, or professional services.
Why Order Manager?
To understand the profound importance of this product, think about each time you visited your favorite local business or bought anything online. Every time you engage with these businesses, there are a lot of things that need to happen to deliver that amazing experience: Sellers need to be ready to allocate ingredients, inventory, and staff to all the tasks required to produce that amazing experience you love so much. When these businesses grow, technology plays a fundamental role in helping coordinate and ensure each of these sales is successful: a memorable meal, a special gift, or a life-saving service you requested for your family. Order Manager’s mission is to provide a seamless experience to manage all sales across all devices, products, and use cases. We aim to help our sellers manage their sales with ease and efficiency, so they can grow their businesses.
Order Manager focuses on assisting sellers in managing all their orders incoming from any channels (i.e in-store, online, pickup), across multiple fulfillment methods (local delivery, shipments, subscriptions) and order types (sales, bookings, subscriptions) throughout the order lifecycle (creation, preparation, fulfillment, payment, returns, and cancelations).
As a PM in the Order Manager team, You will create intuitive and high-use seller workflows (i.e. cancelations, post-sale resolutions, daily/weekly order preparation planning) and experiences that increase operational leverage ( we call it seller-productivity) and grow more sales across multiple products.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead an important area for allowing and augmenting all forms of commerce driving sizable seller, buyer, and revenue for Square. You will offer big design, product, and platform challenges, and the opportunity building for all of Square's markets. You'll get to work with almost every team within Square and have a chance to think about the multi-year roadmap for space to lead long-term impact.
- Use feedback and insights from sellers, buyers, and developers across multiple markets to improve our order management experience to be faster, more intuitive, and better able to handle more impactful workflows.
- Work with engineering, design, and QA to foster team dynamics
- Lead product strategy, planning, scoping, and prioritization of projects to achieve all of our goals. You will outline entire roadmaps and project requirements, goals, and constraints.
- Represent the team with partners and senior company leaders to align resources and prioritization.
- Guide the creation of reusable platform solutions that are delightful, scalable, and remarkable
- Determine features, write product and technical specs, organize user studies, help write test plans and, manage the backlog.
- Report to the current Order Management Product Lead.
- 7+ years of product management experience or equivalent; prior experience as an engineer or solutions architect is desirable.
- Experience building consumer or enterprise user-facing products - including experience working on reusable mobile components; experience in the e-commerce/retail/payments industry or working on global products is desirable.
- Product strategy knowledge and product sense delivered by powerful written artifacts.
- Excellent at cross team communication, coordination and project prioritization
- Deep seller empathy and the ability to work with design to distill seller-facing use cases into remarkable features
- Cross platform (web/mobile/server) technical foundation.
- A work style that uses data to make informed decisions.
- Experience with Square's mission, with new technology and for solving complex problems.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.