Engineering Manager - Health Eligibility
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash is building the most relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible financial app in the world. The Health organization's mission is to maximize trust and expand access to Cash App's ecosystem.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for technical architecture, ensuring collaboration across a multitude of disciplines, and providing coaching and mentorship to your team and peers. You will drive the team's vision and roadmap alongside product management and the Cash App leadership team.
About Health Eligibility:
The Eligibility team is building a centralized policy management and enforcement platform for the Cash App ecosystem. As Cash App has grown in complexity, we have seen a proliferation of custom product requirements mixed with an ever increasing set of account states. We are building a system to manage these in a scalable, simple, and auditable way.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, strategy and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Work with cross-functional partners to build impactful platform features
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Do whatever needs to get done to help your team execute. This could mean writing code, planning a team offsite, or covering an oncall shift.
- Must be located in the Pacific Time Zone
- 8+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members)
- Well-developed curiosity and enjoy building creative solutions to complex problems
- Previous success prioritizing urgency, excellence, and delivery in a fast-paced and high-growth environment
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers on developing roadmaps and executing against them
- Strong sense of ownership, accountability and autonomy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- JUnit, Hibernate, Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Kafka and event driven architecture
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.