Senior Product Designer, Appointments (Onboarding & Growth)
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Appointments team within Square focuses on designing simple, yet powerful solutions for service-based businesses that rely on scheduling and selling their time. This includes designing products for two important industries: Beauty (e.g. salons, spas) and Fitness (e.g. personal training, yoga studios).
You will lead design on our Onboarding and Growth team within Appointments, at the forefront of creating experiences that promote seller adoption, engagement, and satisfaction.
You’ll work with peers on Engineering and Product to chart the strategy and roadmap of your team, and build on that strategy. You will report directly to the Design Lead for Appointments, Conversations and Square Go, and be part of a community of designers, researchers and creatives both within these 3 teams, and the larger Square design community.
- Work with your peers to define your team's goals and strategy.
- Create high-quality end-to-end product designs for onboarding and growth features that empower our sellers and their businesses, across web, iOS and Android.
- Identify opportunities for your team based on goals and user behavior.
- Work collaboratively across multiple teams at Square to bring agreement and on projects and come to remarkable solutions and ship them promptly.
- Identify and run user research and testing, both with and without UX Researcher collaboration.
- Participate in the wider Appointments team, which includes the Beauty and Fitness teams, working with your design and cross functional peers on both strategy and projects.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio along with necessary passwords***
- 7+ years of professional design experience.
- A portfolio of high-quality work that shows you were directly responsible for the success of high impact projects that have benefited end-users.
- Experience working across onboarding surfaces and/or on a growth team, including familiarity with iterative experimentation (e.g. A/B testing).
- The ability to describe high-level team goals and connect your work to large company projects and team goals.
- Taken the lead to form ideas and presented them to your team to determine strategy and roadmaps, knowing when something is a small experiment, and when to push for a larger holistic strategy.
- Experience questioning and collaborating with your leadership peers and bringing conversations to next steps.
- The ability to guide the vision for the product and achieve it through design explorations, research, documentation, and presentations to bring the team along.
- Experience identifying and running UX research and testing yourself.
- The ability to determine your point of view of what success means for a given initiative.
- Tackled complicated projects and sought the information you needed to move those projects forward.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.