Lead Android Engineer, Checkout
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s purpose is economic empowerment; since our beginning, we have been helping sellers start and manage their own businesses. The Checkout team at Square has a mission to help sellers make and close sales anywhere and anyhow buyers want to buy. We make this possible by building a shared client checkout platform for all of Square’s checkout experiences.
We’re looking for a resourceful and curious Lead Engineer for Square’s Android Checkout team. The Android Checkout team and its partner iOS team together provide Sellers large and small around the world with a simple, seamless checkout experience that works both on and offline.
As one of the technical leaders on the Checkout Android team, you will design, write, and review critical and complex code to move the Checkout engineering and product roadmap forward, while coordinating and guiding junior engineers to do the same. You’ll partner closely with mobile and API peers on teams across the company as they take on larger initiatives that include Checkout. You’ll work with cross-functional Product and Design partners to design and build features that robustly serve elegant user experience to Square sellers and buyers around the world.
- Lead the technical team to be able to effectively create technical systems, write solid code, and develop sensible tests
- Leverage your Android expertise to build complex solutions that meet our sellers’ challenges
- Work across platforms with our internal partners to develop robust software solutions
- Mentor junior engineers to help them develop their technical and leadership skills
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use
- Collaborate across teams of experienced and dedicated engineers, product managers and designers
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence
- 8+ years of Android software engineering experience, developing scalable production software and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to lead and mentor a group of software engineers to deliver solutions while fostering growth.
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work.
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues.
- Motivation to build beautiful, refined and intuitive products
- Curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for Android development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, Jetpack Compose, Dagger, Anvil, Okhttp, and more
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.