Senior Software Engineer - Shopping | Catalog & Tools
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash Shopping is a new team with a focus on building core e-commerce shopping functionality (navigation, search, filtering, offer feeds, storefronts, product pages, etc.) that helps users discover new offers from merchants and buy the products they want on Cash App.
We have a unique opportunity for a backend Software Engineer to join our team and make an immediate impact on our product by getting involved early on. As an engineer on our team, you will influence many aspects of our business through building software that powers the shopping experience and the content platform. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and our company’s growth.
- Design, build, and own highly available services and infrastructure that enables commerce experience on Cash App
- Contribute to our backend services written in Kotlin along with other modern stacks running on AWS/Kubernetes.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences of product features through microservices, APIs, web-apps.
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
- BS/MS/PhD in computer science or a related field.
- 5+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Experience in architecting large-scale distributed systems.
- Curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Experience in and passion for mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams.
- Enthusiastic about solving business problems with technology and can take ownership of an end-to-end solution.
- Possess an execution-mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed.
Technologies we use and teach
- Java, Kotlin, Ruby
- MySQL, Dynamo, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx, New Relic, Sumo Logic
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Canada locations are categorized into one of two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
CA-A: CAD $138,500.00 - CAD $207,700.00
CA-B: CAD $133,700.00 - CAD $200,500.00
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource.
We have listed some of our common hiring locations. Depending on the cost of labor in the relevant geographic area, state work locations that are approximately 50 Kilometers outside of the metro area listed may be aligned to a different zone. These zones may be modified in the future. Please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.