Senior Data Scientist, eCommerce
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square eCommerce team is on a mission to make it incredibly easy for anyone to sell online. This role will be focused on working with the product team to build and improve the Square eCommerce experience. The ideal candidate understands and loves seeing the impact of their work translate into product changes and improvements. The role will involve working on the product from end-to-end, thinking about everything from how a merchant sets up their online presence to how a shopper browses online. You’ll be formulating analyses using a rich dataset to track feature usage and performance, identify potential gaps and opportunities, and make recommendations to stakeholders. This role will challenge you to think strategically and contribute to high-level discussions with senior leadership and peers across Square.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, and senior strategy leaders to improve the product. Make sure the right questions are being asked, solicit feedback, and iterate until you reach meaningful conclusions backed by solid analysis
- Design and analyze A/B experiments to evaluate the impact of changes we make to the product
- Apply a diverse set of tactics such as statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning to research and produce insights
- Use SQL on a daily basis to develop data pipelines, write complex queries, and perform analysis
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level partners and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Develop resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Develop, debug, and improve data models. Our product moves fast and new data doesn’t always play nice with existing models. Think about how to ingest and store data in the most useful and scalable format.
- Define KPIs, build ETLs, construct dashboards and other tools for you and other stakeholders
- 4+ years of analytics and data science experience or equivalent
- Experience building relationships to influence product partners with data
- Experience leading cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Experience applying both statistical and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as predicting churn, defining frameworks for measuring success, and clustering user archetypes
- Familiarity with data warehouse design and best practices
- Fluency with data, analytics, and visualization technologies (we use SQL, Looker, and Python)
Nice to have:
- M.S or Ph.D. in a quantitative field (mathematics, statistics, or similar STEM field)
- Experience working on product & platform initiatives focused on measuring platform success
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Canada locations are categorized into one of two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
CA-A: CAD $104,100.00 - CAD $156,100.00
CA-B: CAD $100,400.00 - CAD $150,600.00
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource.
We have listed some of our common hiring locations. Depending on the cost of labor in the relevant geographic area, state work locations that are approximately 50 Kilometers outside of the metro area listed may be aligned to a different zone. These zones may be modified in the future. Please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.