Creative Director, Customers and Upmarket Foundation
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for an experienced Creative Director to help define the future of Square product marketing. Your primary role will be to raise our creative bar while providing the vision, guidance, and support to ensure everyone on the team can reach it. In this leadership role, you’ll lead a multidisciplinary creative team composed of Art Directors, Interactive Designers, Copywriters, Production Designers, and Digital Technologists to craft best-in-class product marketing web pages, email campaigns, testimonial pages, explainer and tutorial videos, sales enablement tools, and foundational design elements.
Great design has always been core to the success of our company. We create products that are intuitive, elegant, and solid. They give time back to people so they can focus on what they do, instead of what we make. In this role, you will have an opportunity to build on this mission by ensuring people can effortlessly navigate, learn, and sign up for Square services while inspiring them in ways that are resonant and relevant to their business.
- Lead a team of creatives as player/coach by providing creative direction and mentorship to your team while taking the lead on high-priority projects.
- Oversee creative work across channels from strategy to execution to ensure it is strategically on-brief and raises the creative bar.
- Consult with Product Managers, Product Designers, and Design and UX Researchers to sharpen strategies and refine the work.
- Learn how our products work and how sellers use them by diving deep into research and using our products first-hand.
- Partner frequently with project managers to help prioritize the team’s work, manage timelines, and ensure expectations are met with partners.
- Present work to partners and senior leadership in a clear, compelling, and effective way.
- Provide clear feedback and direction to level up the quality and effectiveness of the work being delivered
- You will report to the Group Creative Director who supports you, your team, and other creative teams within our org.
- 10+ years experience in a creative role including 3 or more years leading a creative team – preferably within tech and/or consumer products.
- Experience in in-house digital creative teams; ideally you have a mix of agency and in-house experience
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates a strong sensibility for both copy and design
- A business-first mindset about creative work and expertise aligning creativity to strategy.
- Best-in-class presentation skills. You can own a room, lead discussions strategically, and know how to build trust within large organizations.
- Experience recruiting, motivating, and managing creative teams
- Expertise with Figma, designing for the web, user testing, and working within digital production workflows
- A healthy mentality about work-life balance and value prioritization, process, and efficiency as a means to achieve it.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Canada locations are categorized into one of two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
CA-A: CAD $152,300.00 - CAD $228,500.00
CA-B: CAD $147,000.00 - CAD $220,600.00
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource.
We have listed some of our common hiring locations. Depending on the cost of labor in the relevant geographic area, state work locations that are approximately 50 Kilometers outside of the metro area listed may be aligned to a different zone. These zones may be modified in the future. Please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.