Credit Risk Underwriter, Afterpay - Bilingual (Mandarin)
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
We are looking for a Commercial Credit Risk Underwriter to help manage chargeback and non delivery risk for some of the largest sellers processing on Afterpay and Cash App. You will work with our Sales teams throughout the onboarding process to provide a seamless seller experience ensuring appropriate risk assessment and controls. You will have commercial credit underwriting skills, and take joy in scouring financial statements to understand a company’s business model, key risks, and mitigating factors. Additionally, they help partners navigate the risk experience. Lastly, they will take every opportunity to improve our operations and our people.
- Conduct in-depth credit reviews of our highest-risk sellers, including preparing credit memorandums for approval by senior management
- Lead due diligence calls with prospective and existing sellers to ensure that key risks are fully understood and mitigated
- Work closely with partners in Sales, Account Management, Legal and Finance & Strategy
- Present to Credit Committees and partners; effectively represent Credit Risk team and perspectives
- Support principled risk-taking in emerging products and markets by building frameworks for credit analysis
- Contribute to the development of credit policies and add structure
- Proactively identify ways to improve our underwriting and operations; and collaborate to build strategic programs
- Share insights and expertise with the team; promote accountability for team-level and individual results
- 4+ years of experience in commercial banking, commercial credit, or payment industries
- Advanced commercial credit underwriting skills, including complex financial statement analysis
- Familiarity with diverse risk management tools and techniques
- Strong professional communication skills internally and externally; able to work with clients to understand their business and gather information
- Data skills and ability to translate findings into interpretable business case
- Mandarin language proficiency is required in order to manage China based sellers
- Experience with negotiating legal documentation a plus
- SQL a plus
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.