Senior BI Engineer
Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The BI Team at Cash App enables our teams to make impactful business decisions. Our BI Engineers handle everything from data architecture and modeling to data pipeline tooling and dashboarding. As Senior BI Engineer at Cash App, you will report to the BI Manager and work with Analysts, Data Scientists, Product Managers, and Software Engineers to lay the foundation for analyzing our large, unique dataset. We are an extremely data-driven team - from understanding our customers, managing and operating our business, to informing product development. You will build, curate, document, and manage key datasets and ETLs to increase the impact of the entire team. You will develop strong partnership with our stakeholders by understanding their priorities and pain points and deliver value via our data, reporting, and tools.
- Create brand new and optimize existing data models in the Commerce domain at Cash App.
- Build strong partnerships with Product Data Scientist, Product Manager, and Software Engineer teams by understanding their priorities and pain points and deliver values from our data, reporting, and interactive data products.
- Build reusable data engineering framework to improve the data quality, reliability, and scalability of our ETLs using a combination of tools like dbt, prefect, airflow, databricks, spark, etc.
- Mentor and coach team members to adopt data modeling best practice, improve data engineering solutions, and adopt developing, testing, and release best practice.
- Collaborate with external teams including data infrastructure, tooling, and raw data provision teams to keep updated on data engineering framework, tooling, and engineering excellence.
- Enable stakeholders from less technical teams to self service data pipelines using UI-based task orchestration tools.
- Background/knowledge in Computer Science, Applied Math, Engineering, Stats, Physics, or something comparable
- 7+ years of industry experience building complex, scalable ETLs for a variety of different business and product use cases.
- 3+ years of experience in ETL orchestration and workflow management tools like Airflow, Prefect
- Experience working with Snowflake, Databricks, Redshift, PostgreSQL and/or other DBMS platforms.
- Experience using CI/CD tools in data engineering pipelines. Experience using dbt in building and enriching data models. Experience in building interactive data products to automate internal business processes will be a plus.
- An interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building products for economic empowerment - this should be something that legitimately excites you
- Comfortable working in fast paced environment, are a self starter and self organizing
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL, Spark
- Airflow, Prefect, Looker and Tableau
- Python / Java
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.