Head of Enterprise Risk Management
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We are seeking a Head of Enterprise Risk Management to build and scale an effective global risk management program. We’re looking for a leader who is deeply experienced in risk management and technology.
You will lead Block's global enterprise risk management function and partner with colleagues across Compliance, Legal, Industry Relations, Finance, Risk, Internal Audit, Product, Engineering, and Sales and Marketing. You will lead meaningful change for customers all over the world, solving challenging business problems, and building new programs. You will report to Block’s Global Chief Compliance Officer, and be a critical member of the Compliance leadership team.
- Build and oversee the global enterprise risk function for Block.
- Cultivate and embed a strong enterprise risk management culture across the company.
- Develop the enterprise risk management framework and related policies and processes, ensuring they meet regulatory expectations and are tailored to the business, while also enhancing operational efficiencies.
- Perform analysis of enterprise risk data to identify insights, trends and emerging risks.
- Ensure risks and business activities are monitored and assessed on a regular basis aligning with set risk appetites and overall risk exposure.
- Ensure clear reporting procedures in place and train all lines of defense on escalation procedures.
- Monitor the effectiveness of risk management systems including escalation and reporting processes.
- Develop and advise risk appetite statements and exposure limits and the execution of overall enterprise risk strategies.
- Prepare any mitigation or remediation plans for risks falling outside prescribed risk appetites.
- Enhance risk management under the Enterprise Risk Management umbrella, in partnership with owners of the risk (Business Units, Marketing, Information Technology, Compliance, and Legal)
- 15+ years of leadership experience in risk management, ideally in the technology industry
- Experience developing risk management programs at scale
- Experience reporting directly to board of directors and senior leadership and working with auditors, partners and regulators
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present complex information in a simple and clear manner.
- Experience managing projects and scaling processes with company growth.
- Ability to collaborate across all levels of the organization.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone B: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone C: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone D: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.