Financial Crimes Lead
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus.
As the Financial Crimes & Risk Lead, reporting to TBD’s Head of Compliance, you (and the team that you build) will oversee the strategy, development and implementation of TBD’s financial crimes and risk programs. You will design world class financial crimes and fraud detection, monitoring, and reporting controls, and processes to mitigate any existing or emerging risks for TBD. You will also work in collaboration with your cross functional partners across Product, Engineering and Operations to understand and help design new products and services. You will demonstrate an excellent understanding of digital assets regulations and best practices, a keen eye for program and systems design, data-driven approaches, and executive communication and presentation.
Risk & Compliance provides critical foundational support to the business to enable financial and digital innovation in a compliant way. The Financial Crimes & Risk Lead is a deliberate hire to drive responsible innovation and accelerate the development of TBDs Risk & Compliance program for the approaching product launches. You will report to the Head of TBD Compliance to develop and lead the Financial Crimes and Risk programs for TBD.
We have intentionally combined our Financial Crimes and Risk programs to gain efficiencies and create a comprehensive understanding of the customer risk from all perspectives. You will create a program around this objective and drive the design of automated systems that identify, detect and prevent unusual activity to protect our customers and the broader Block ecosystem.
- Develop TBD’s strategy for Risk to include AML, financial crimes, fraud, financial, and operational risk to underwrite the development of future products and services for TBD.
- Document and maintain all policies, procedures and processes within your remit to ensure compliance with applicable internal, legal and regulatory standards.
- Collaborate with Legal, Operations, Engineering, Product, and other Block stakeholders to deliver measurable and actionable business outcomes while minimizing the organization’s exposure to all applicable risk categories including AML, financial crime, fraud, financial and operational risks.
- Eventually recruit and hire a team of investigators, focusing on incorporating specific skills or experience needed to enhance the risk and compliance team capabilities.
- Drive the design of the risk, transaction monitoring, investigation and suspicious activity detection and reporting systems and framework making sure we maintain the highest standards for regulatory requirements while prioritizing efficiency and automation.
- Work closely with the foundational Compliance Engineering & Tools team to design analytical methodologies and monitoring scenarios for AML and financial crimes risk mitigation.
- Work closely with TBD’s Risk Engineering team to influence the design and development of TBD’s risk tools and methodologies, with a goal to offer world class institutional risk mitigation services to participants on tbDEX.
- Identify where vendor data or tools are necessary to expand our internal capabilities or improve the customer experience, and develop formal relationships with these vendors.
- Contribute to a strong Compliance Culture by acting with integrity and demonstrating Block’s mission of Economic Empowerment to promote positive behaviors and develop a solid understanding of risk and compliance across TBD.
- 10+ years of experience in anti-money laundering and financial crimes roles
- People management experience
- BSA/AML Compliance expertise gained through the ability to interpret financial regulations and design and implement appropriate compliance controls
- Solid understanding of blockchain technology, decentralized ecosystems, and regulated cryptocurrency products and services
- Prior experience working in a start-up culture and a track record for rolling up your sleeves to get something done (effective execution in an informal corporate environment)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $172,200 - USD $209,200
Zone C: USD $162,000 - USD $198,000
Zone D: USD $152,700 - USD $186,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.