Engineering Manager - Banking, Credit Card Team
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
When our sellers make a sale, the Square Banking team helps them manage and understand their business finances with products that include Checking, Savings, Loans and Credit Cards to smooth out cash flow. With this suite of products, we ensure that our customers get access to the funds they need when they need them, and that they can always understand and control where their money is going. We partner with platform and infrastructure teams to move billions of dollars each year on behalf of our sellers.
In this role, you’ll manage a team that builds and scales high-performance backend services, help power world-class front-end experiences within our web-based and mobile products, and contribute to the future of banking. You will also be collaborating with Platform teams and external partners to build systems that scale.
We are a product-focused engineering team with a full-stack background. Our projects leverage data-driven decisions to deliver features across mobile and web frontends. We also talk directly to existing and prospective merchants about their needs and pain to identify opportunities to improve their experience. As a member of the team, you’ll be managing mobile, backend and frontend focused engineers to deliver high-value banking features to Square sellers.
- Partner with Product Manager and Design to build out new banking products for our sellers
- Advise on technical direction and uphold technical bar for systems/applications in a service oriented architecture with the team and external vendors
- Manage and support an engineering team, consisting of approximately 6-10 engineers
- Lead and strategize with staff and senior engineers to build scalable and reliable systems
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers and senior leaders so that goals and work are aligned across the entire organization.
- Define the roadmap of work for the team, with an emphasis on the technical work needed for the team to be successful.
- 2+ years of people management experience, preferably leading engineers
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in lieu of a degree
- Ability to solve complex technical problems
- Excellent communication skills and ability to partner with cross functional teams.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of payments or fintech strongly preferred.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Ember.js, TypeScript, Ruby on Rails and more
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- Protocol Buffers, Terraform, Kubernetes and Envoy
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.