Finance Manager, Australia
- Alternate Location: Sydney, Australia
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We are looking for a Financial Accounting Manager to join Square Australia, reporting to the International Accounting APAC Lead. As the local accounting lead, this individual contributor role will drive accounting and financial oversight to ensure our financial records are complete and accurate. You will run month-end close processes, prepare and present monthly/annual management reports, support statutory and compliance audits, analyze financial data, support operational processes and various business initiatives, and work on other ad hoc projects. You will partner with teams both within Australia and around our global offices to ensure financial close and reporting processes are consistent with corporate requirements.
This position can sit in our Melbourne or Sydney offices or be full-time remote from any part of Australia.
- Manage accounting processes for Square's Australian subsidiaries, such as the monthly financial reporting close process and operational accounting activities
- Prepare/review journal entries, month end account reconciliations and flux analysis
- Present updates and analyses during close meetings and quarterly board meetings
- Research Australian GAAP and IFRS accounting policies and develop procedures for proper accounting treatment of technical issues
- Support US and local AU statutory audits and tax returns by handling inquiries and requests from external auditors and tax authorities
- Work with Square's global Accounting, Procurement, Finance & Strategy, Tax , Counsel and Treasury teams to ensure international operational needs are met and to address inquiries in Australia related to Square financials
- Drive projects for global process alignment across international entities and implement enhancements and improvements
- Implement processes and document controls to ensure local regulatory compliance and a SOX compliant internal control environment
- Maintain documentation to support compliance with legal and filing requirements
- Perform other tasks and ad hoc requests
- 5+ years of prior auditing experience and/or industry accounting experience
- Expertise in Australian GAAP and IFRS accounting standards; familiarity with US GAAP and statutory reporting
- Experience working for a subsidiary of a foreign global company
- Strong skills in analyzing financial statements and preparing commentary to present results and explain financial accounting concepts
- Experience with financial and tax audits
- Chartered Accountant (C.A.) license or equivalent
- Expertise in using ERP systems and excel skills (can maintain complex spreadsheets)
Nice to have:
- Prior experience working in the technology industry, large public multinational companies, or public accounting (Big 4)
- Experience with AFSL (Australian Financial Services License) and APRA (Australian Prudential Regulation Authority) requirements
- Familiarity with Oraclecloud, Hyperion/ Essbase, Workiva and Blackline
- Understanding of global entity structures and multi-country/currency environments
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.