Senior Machine Learning Engineer (Modeling), Financial Crimes Technology
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Square Financial Crimes Machine Learning team is responsible for detecting, preventing, and reporting illegal activity across all markets in which Square operates. We work globally with partners in business, engineering, counsel and product to ensure we are providing a safe user experience for our customers while minimizing or eliminating bad activity on our platform.
We leverage Machine Learning as an integral part of our toolkit to fulfill our mission. We employ scalable solutions in order to monitor billions of dollars in transactions. We uncover and put an end to money laundering, terrorist financing, and other illegal activities before they impact our users. Additionally, we improve workflow and case tools, adding features that empower investigator productivity and automate the high volume of monitoring. We are looking for senior MLEs who are interested in solving critical business problems using any and all tools necessary.
- Build both batch and real-time machine learning solutions for the assessment of financial crimes risk at scale across all global markets in which Square operates
- Work closely with stakeholders, business partners, and product engineering teams to ensure that data can be leveraged effectively to build efficient solutions within our regulatory program
- Produce thorough documentation of our program that can withstand regulatory scrutiny
- Proactively identify new opportunities and future needs of our ML teams
- Lead by example by applying ML and engineering best practices
- Stay current on ML developments in the field, foster an environment of continuous learning, and apply new learnings when applicable
- Have a significant impact on influencing team culture and direction
- 5+ years of software engineering or machine learning experience
- A degree (preferable graduate level) in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Applied Math or a related technical field
- Practical experience working with both deep learning and traditional machine learning frameworks
- Prior experience working with product, engineering, and business to prioritize, scope, design, and deploy ML tooling and infrastructure at scale
- Natural curiosity and desire to grow and help shape all aspects of our small and growing team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and are comfortable working with a cross-functional, globally distributed team
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.