Head of Engineering, ECOM
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our Head of Engineering for Ecom will be passionate about helping our sellers have the best online experience possible and drawn to Square's purpose of economic empowerment, and their role in helping understand and address their struggles and needs.
In this role, you would lead 80+ engineers along with their engineering leadership in building Square Online, which help our sellers across all verticals grow their online presence. In addition, you will collaborate with other Engineering peers responsible for delivering a seamless multi-product experience. You will also work alongside Square’s leadership team to support and shape Square’s platform-powered ecosystem strategy.
- Inspire and drive our commitment to empower sellers for greater success by crafting innovative and remarkable product solutions
- Structure and run the team like a well oiled machine; scale our processes, and systems
- Foster a collaborative environment that values diverse perspectives, encouraging the sharing of ideas while maintaining a strong, well-informed point of view.
- Grow our world class engineering organization in capability and expertise; empower leaders at every level
- Influence business strategy and product vision as part of the Ecommerce leadership team
- Cultivate an inclusive team culture focused on customer empathy, ownership, and integrity
- Operate a high performing organization within a large global enterprise
- Mission orientation: you are motivated by our purpose of economic employment and serving our sellers and developers. Your excitement is genuine for helping small and medium sized businesses and their employees succeed.
- Operator mindset: you have experience creating and implementing systems and processes to scale and support Engineering teams with a focus on execution and operational excellence
- Expertise and demonstrated experience operating, or related experience desired in the B2B2C space.
- People manager: people magnet, team and culture creator
- 10+ years relevant software development and systems design experience working on consumer facing products.
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager or Lead; 3+ years managing managers
This is a remote friendly opportunity. #LI-Remote
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.