Head of Design, Square Banking
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are looking for a Global Head of Design for Square's Banking team. The Banking team was created in 2021, bringing together many financial products at Square into a cohesive suite of banking products, designed specifically for small businesses. With Square Banking, businesses can sell, save, spend, and borrow as fast as they need to. Their payments, bank accounts, and cash flow, are synced together. When they take payments and bank through Square, everything is connected. We are adding quickly to this initial collection of financial tools as we expand internationally and you will lead a team as you build the brand, add features, and launch whole new products.
- Report directly to the GM of Banking and partner with your peers in Product, Marketing, and Engineering, on the Banking executive team.
- Lead a team responsible for every touchpoint of a customer’s experience with Square Banking, from their first marketing or brand interaction all the way through their ongoing experiences inside the products.
- Lead a diverse team of 30+, responsible for numerous functions including: Product Design (including UX writing), Brand & Marketing Creative (creative directors, art directors, designers, and writers), Research (UX and marketing research), and Design & Creative Operations to keep it all running smoothly
- Create an environment where individuals are inspired to do incredible work, building trust with them and across the organization.
- Hire and lead people, while also creating a space where Designers and Creatives are safe to take risks in the pursuit of unique work.
Additionally, you will be part of our overall design leadership team at Square and be a core driver of decisions improving the entirety of Design and Creative disciplines at Square. You will partner with other Heads of Design peers throughout Square to establish best practices and operations for the discipline.
- 15+ years of professional design experience and 6+ years managing and leading design and creative teams
- Experience leading teams with multiple disciplines including Product Design, Brand Creative, and Research, to bring together delightful and impactful experiences for our customers.
- A background with an emphasis on innovative product design, with experience leading brand creative teams and research.
- You have led teams that have contributed to high impact and high visibility projects for your company.
- A proven ability to collaborate closely with Product, Marketing, and Engineering leaders to influence the product roadmap and the organizational structure.
- A diverse portfolio of work across Product and Brand that illustrates your ability to have impact and lead at the project level, product level, organization level, and company level.
- Experience establishing organization-level goals and translating them to teams across multiple products to create remarkable experiences.
- You implement and lead processes that solve difficult problems and influence across a collection of products.
- Build relationships with team members from Engineering, Product, Marketing, and Data Science and speak to product strategy, design goals, and execution
- Drive discipline-wide conversations and create deliverables on how to improve process, operations, and tools throughout all of Square
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.