Director of Internal Audit - Technology
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is seeking a Technology Internal Audit Director. This role is responsible for partnering with the Global Internal Audit Lead, Technology Internal Audit Lead, and Business Process Internal Audit Lead in developing and executing our Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance program. In addition, this role will be instrumental in partnering to develop and execute longer term strategies for Block internal audit function, including expansion of the enterprise risk management (ERM) function, establishing a formal risk-based operational audit methodology, and supporting various regulatory compliance requirements.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional leadership and organizational skills including the ability to successfully interact at all levels of the organization, including with members of the Audit & Risk Committee (ARC) Board. Superior analytical skills and strong business acumen are also critical success factors. The ideal candidate possesses fin-tech experience, with a focus on end-to-end SOX Compliance. The candidate must have a firm grasp of key technology processes and SOX methodologies (controls design, risk assessment, IT General Controls (ITGCs), Automated Controls (ITACs), etc.) and knowledge of process flow mapping, design and documentation of controls, controls testing, evaluation of control deficiencies and remediation plans. Additionally, the candidate must have the ability to effectively manage Internal Audit’s external partners (external auditors, outsourcing partners, control owners) who assist us with SOX testing, demonstrate proficient project management skills, superior communication (written and oral) and organizational skills.
- Leadership of the Technology Internal Audit team (covering global responsibilities for SOX Technology compliance across multiple systems/environments (ITGCs & ITACs), including managing Block’s co-source partner).
- Drive collaborative and proactive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Partner with the Global Internal Audit Lead, Technology Audit Lead, and Business Process Audit Lead to expand Block’s ERM program and develop a global risk-based operational audit methodology.
- Ensure effective governance and risk management processes through development and execution of risk assessments and audit plans.
- Facilitate and support the Business Process Audit team in the identification, testing, and documentation of automated controls in both hosted and on-premise systems.
- Lead key aspects of the Internal Audit strategic plan as well as key initiatives, represent the Internal Audit function on significant cross-functional teams.
- As an integral member of the Audit Leadership Team, provide strategic direction and thought leadership in audit approach and execution.
- Drive delivery of internal audit plan in accordance with established methodology and agreed quality standards while meeting or exceeding key performance indicators
- 10+ years in expanding leadership roles with experience in building internal control frameworks in well-disciplined organizations where best practices are integral to the management of the business.
- A BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required; Big 4 firm experience highly preferred.
- Advanced understanding of accounting systems, on-premises systems, AWS Cloud Computing, SOX/audit methodologies, and risk management within a complex, technology, financial services or regulated business.
- Understanding of SaaS and PaaS providers and the business and technology risk associated with these products.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, including outstanding ability to summarize complex issues into succinct communications for a wide range of internal and external executive constituents.
- Strong experience in project management and cross-functional collaboration.
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills with ability to analyze complex technology problems and make sound business decisions.
- Strong drive for results and success, conveying a sense of urgency and driving issues to closure in a fast-paced, evolving business and risk environment.
- Proactive leader with unquestionable integrity and discretion.
- Professional Certification (CPA, CIA, CISA, etc.) is preferred.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone C: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone D: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.