Commercial Counsel, TBD
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus.
We are seeking an experienced attorney to join TBD’s Legal team as a critical member of our Contracts Management division. You will report into TBD's General Counsel.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of strategic commercial contracts, placing a specific emphasis on supporting complex partnerships, including licensing, vendor contracts, marketing, non-disclosure, and other technology-related agreements.
- Collaborate with teams in supporting TBD's primary strategic developer partnerships, ensuring our agreements align with business objectives.
- Provide legal expertise by demonstrating strong drafting and negotiation skills, ability to triage and prioritize issues, and possess a comprehensive understanding of relevant legal principles.
- Communicate effectively, both in written and verbal forms, to convey legal concepts to non-legal stakeholders and external parties in a simple, direct, easy to understand manner.
- Identify and resolve legal issues, applying a solutions-oriented approach and adapting to changes in the business environment.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with company partners, including within the Legal team, employing excellent relationship management skills while fostering a positive and cooperative working environment.
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of tools and technology, forms, processes, and procedures within the Counsel team.
- Uphold ethical conduct, maintaining a commitment to professional responsibility and legal ethics.
- Stay informed about legal developments, industry trends, and best practices in commercial law, demonstrating a commitment to continuous learning.
- Licensed attorney with five (5) or more years of experience in contracts drafting and negotiation at technology companies or law firms.
- Analytical project management experience, including work with challenging deadlines and maintaining accurate and orderly records.
- Collaborative and team-oriented approach, capable of working in a distributed workforce.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deliverables on time in a dynamic and evolving environment.
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Docusign, and other contract management and legal department tools is a plus.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $188,400 - USD $230,200
Zone C: USD $178,200 - USD $217,800
Zone D: USD $168,100 - USD $205,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.