Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Identity, ML Platform
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 50+ million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
As part of the Machine Learning Engineering Identity team, you will play a critical part in utilizing machine learning methods and systems to reduce the prevalence of inauthentic identities within Cash's ecosystem. Our primary responsibility is fortifying our first line of defense against bad actors attempting to bypass our Identity Verification (IDV) controls, while also enhancing our confidence in both existing and new customers' identities. By leveraging machine learning, we aim to ensure that everyone has equal access to the financial services they require, irrespective of their background or financial history.
Our team is continuing to grow and we’re looking for Engineers with experience developing ML pipelines and infrastructure to build out the next-generation ML solutions to power use cases across the company. Across the team, we employ methods ranging from simple heuristics to Deep Learning technology to improve our performance and services. We’re also excited to explore new directions with the team to continue pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Our ML Engineers work in close collaboration with Data Scientists, ML Modelers and Software Engineers from across Cash App. Check out our Machine Learning / AI blog here!
- Design elegant ML pipelines and services as well as prototype new approaches and productionize solutions at scale for our 50+ million active users
- Create a world class platform for training, hosting and maintaining ML models
- Apply ML and engineering best practices to shape how Cash App develops, tests and maintains ML-platform solutions
- Help design and execute our long-term Machine Learning strategy across Cash App
- A degree/background in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical field. A graduate degree is a nice to have
- 3+ years of experience in software development and demonstrated technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Curiosity and a passion for Cash App's mission of economic empowerment
- Experience helping your teammates grow through mentorship and providing constructive feedback
- A desire to be hands-on and help invent the future of AI
- The ability to work autonomously in the rapidly evolving world of ML
- Experience or knowledge in ML is helpful but not a prerequisite: if you are a solid software engineer, then we are happy to train you in the mysterious ways of ML
Technologies we use and teach:
We value general engineering skill and versatility over existing domain knowledge, but here’s a sample of what we currently use:
- Python, Java and Kotlin
- Tensorflow and PyTorch
- AWS, GCP, and Kubernetes
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Kafka, Apache Beam and Google DataFlow
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Canada locations are categorized into one of two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: CAD $138,500 - CAD $207,700
Zone B: CAD $133,700 - CAD $200,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource.
We have listed some of our common hiring locations. Depending on the cost of labor in the relevant geographic area, state work locations that are approximately 50 Kilometers outside of the metro area listed may be aligned to a different zone. These zones may be modified in the future. Please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.