Business Development Representative, SMB
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for a motivated Business Development professional to join our Australian Sales organisation, reporting to the Sales Development Manager. As a Business Development Associate, you will identify prospective Square sellers and promote the value of Square in helping them grow their business. You will work with the Australian Sales team to find new large value merchants fitting the Square ecosystem, and with global Square team-mates on wider projects. Often the first line of contact with prospective Australian Square merchants, you will understand and empathise with their diverse needs and focus on how Square could best support them. You will become an expert in the Square product ecosystem, and will document and track qualified opportunities to pass onto our Account Executive team. You will use multi-channel outreach (social media, outreach emails, phone calls) to large value merchants in Australia each day, applying a data-driven approach to outbound sales. This role can be based in Melbourne or Sydney with options to work from home or in the office.
- Maintain current knowledge of the global Square product ecosystem and how this may help large value Australian merchants to further grow their businesses
- Create a great first impression for prospective Square merchants by using storytelling, case studies and other materials to inspire them about how Square could benefit their businesses
- Research and prospect large value merchants across Australia that may be a good fit for Square, and understand how to handle objections you may encounter
- Use multi-channel outreach methods (social media, outreach emails, phone calls) to qualify leads and schedule meetings between merchants and members of our Account Executive team
- Represent Square and our product ecosystem in the local Victorian, and national Australian markets
- Keep up-to-date with the latest business, industry and product trends
- Partner with the Australian Account Executive team to gain exposure to the sales cycle and further develop your sales experience, and learn and maintain current understanding of Australian and global Square sales processes
- Attain (and ideally exceed) your business development goals
- Maintain accurate sales data and documentation by using tools including Salesforce
- A desire to further develop your career in sales
- A passion for technology and the industry Square operates in
- Experience in a qualifying prospecting role with the ability to conduct outbound multi-channel outreach
- Passion, curiosity, hunger, and perseverance
- Critical thinking and strong decision-making abilities
- The ability to perform in a fast-changing environment
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.