Senior Software Engineer - Support Product, Health
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App has grown rapidly to 70+ million users moving billions of dollars daily. To support this, we are building out Health — a new Platform organization responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of the increasingly complex Cash App ecosystem. Health works to improve Cash App access for our customers, while limiting access for bad or unauthorized users by detecting and preventing improper use across all of our core product areas. The teams under Health creating these mission critical services and products include Identity, Access, Risk Controls and Support Automation. We appreciate broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and a readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
About Support Product
We want customer support to be the reason why people trust Cash App with their money. We want to build lasting trust with customers by making it easier to get helpful and caring support that resolves their issues. Support Product is an engineering team within Health that is responsible for building Cash App’s customer facing support experiences as well as internal agent tooling. We blend cutting edge automation throughout our highly scalable applications.
As an engineer on Support Product’s Agent Tooling team you will be part of our distributed cross-functional product development team of Server Engineers, Mobile Engineers, Designers, Machine Learning Engineers and Modellers to build best in class agent tools that make it easier for our agent to find the information and take the actions needed to fully resolve more of our customer issues.
As a member of the Cash App Support Product team, you will:
- Design, build and support the core systems for Support Product on our Health team
- Work in small, cross functional project teams to iteratively deliver products to production
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Influence the technical direction of the Support’s technology stack
- Be on a team that is part of a 24/7 on-call support roster for our services
- Support your colleagues to help grow the product and the team
- Contribute to team roadmap discussions and planning (at Cash App each team is responsible for their own roadmap)
- Interact with cross-functional partners from the Health team as well as other parts of Cash App
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Well-developed curiosity and enjoy building creative solutions to complex problems
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Shown technical initiative on previous projects and an interest in being involved from ideation through implementation
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Expertise in the full software development life cycle
- Nice to have: experience with TypeScript and React
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL and noSQL databases
- Event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
While there is no specific deadline to apply for this role, on average, U.S. open roles are posted for 70 days before being filled by a successful candidate.