Product Manager, Banking Platform
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square Banking team creates remarkable financial products tailor-made for the self-made, by deeply understanding the challenges of running and growing a small business. We’re creating value and stickiness in the Square ecosystem by helping our sellers get quick access to their funds, save for the future, manage their expenses, and get access to fair, timely capital as their first choice lender.
Within the Banking Platform team, the Banking Services teams ensure Square sellers get paid reliably, flexibly, and transparently for the payments Square accepted on their behalf: the right amount in the right place at the right time. As a Product Manager for Square’s Banking Platform, you report to the Banking Platform Lead PM and will be responsible for developing the core capabilities that help Banking teams ship remarkable payout, ledger and settlement products.
Your platform is a key enabler of international scale, speed to market and flexibility; and is the connective tissue between our various financial products, allowing us to ship joined up onboarding experiences, holistic cash flow visualization and insights, and improved credit underwriting. Your customers are teams building financial products within Square Banking and Block broadly; critical peers like our bank partners, and capital markets teams; and each Square Seller who entrusts their hard-earned revenue to us.
You will be responsible for driving platform initiatives from inception through execution. You’ll identify opportunities to consolidate and improve capabilities and drive adoption to help all our teams go faster. You’ll look ahead of our current state to anticipate the future needs of the Banking business and build to meet us there. In this role you will collaborate closely with peer product managers building financial products, engineers, data scientists, operations, designers, capital markets, treasury, revenue accounting, counsel and other cross-functional team members.
- Drive adoption and usage of Square’s Banking Platform
- Work with product teams, underwriting data science, accounting, risk and other teams to understand the needs of teams managing financial products
- Partner closely with engineering teams to define a vision for core platform capabilities, to inform the vision with industry and technology trends
- Own OKRs and build a roadmap for your platform capabilities based on the needs of future financial product launches, and our ambitions for scale and speed to market
- Own key measurements (KPIs) of the platform’s adoption and performance and work to develop a measurement feedback loop into the roadmap to continuously improve
- Evaluate external vendors for key capabilities and articulate a platform build/buy strategy
- Influence key stakeholders throughout Block in order to align intent, resources, and prioritization
- Operate cross-functionally and build strong partnerships both within Block and with external vendors to deliver excellent products and services
- Foster an environment that enables the team to execute quickly while maintaining a high standard for quality
- Manage the entire platform product life cycle from ideation, to planning, execution and launch
- 5+ years of experience in platform product management
- Analytical skills: You have a data-driven learning style and use quantitative information to make product decisions
- Technical mindset: You understand modern technologies and architectural patterns and how they can drive platform performance
- Results: Proven track record delivering platform products with demonstrable contribution to business outcomes
- Collaborative approach: You deliver results with cross-functional teams, and partner with and empower team members appropriately
- Customer-centric: Experience shaping platform direction and execution based on developer and customer needs
- Strategic: Experience developing and driving key strategies that shaped an organization
- Efficiency: Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit: You're a self-starter with flexible skills and deep curiosity
- Credit domain expertise: Experience with small business financing or other financial products
- Excitement: You’re passionate about Square’s mission and new technology
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
While there is no specific deadline to apply for this role, on average, U.S. open roles are posted for 70 days before being filled by a successful candidate.