Legal Operations Technology Lead
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is seeking a Legal Technology Lead to join the Legal Operations team to provide strategic direction and support for the development and implementation of Legal's technology plan, with a focus on increasing efficiency and effectiveness. The position will report to the Head of Legal Operations. You will manage the Legal team’s technology platforms, sourcing and evaluating new technology solutions and ensuring the technology framework is best in class. By leading the implementation, administration, and support of the Legal team’s technology platforms, the position will bring system cohesiveness and future thinking to Legal’s technology landscape.
- Align with global stakeholders on business needs and opportunities to develop a long-term vision and an actionable roadmap for a Legal technology plan.
- Develop, and delivering on the technology plan, with a focus on driving operational efficiencies and innovation.
- Liaise with corporate IT to ensure system and roadmap alignment.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams on technical solution design and delivery.
- Oversee the administration of the company wide contracts management system (Malbek), and the Legal team’s case management (LawVu) and ebilling (Simple Legal) systems.
- Source and implement new software.
- Manage relationships with software vendors and technology service providers.
- Develop efficient, user-friendly, and integrated processes and systems.
- Oversee complex integrations and lead large-scale data migration efforts.
- Apply advanced analysis and technical expertise to complex problems.
- Understand emerging technologies and how they can be incorporated into the future roadmap.
- 12 years of experience managing global legal systems, developing and implementing project roadmaps and systems.
- Experience with every part of the development life cycle – from requirements gathering to development, testing, and deployment.
- Experience with APIs or integration middleware.
- Experience with change management and developing efficient system and process improvements with a high user satisfaction rating.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to present and collaborate well with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Advanced degree is a plus.
- Six Sigma or Agile development experience is a plus.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $171,200 - USD $209,200
Zone C: USD $162,000 - USD $198,000
Zone D: USD $152,700 - USD $186,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
While there is no specific deadline to apply for this role, on average, U.S. open roles are posted for 70 days before being filled by a successful candidate.