Senior Software Engineer - Fraud Risk
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Marketplace under Cash App provides different payment products such as Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) or monthly payment options to customers. The Fraud Risk team builds scalable systems that power our modelers and decision scientists to develop and deploy strategies to battle fraudsters to ensure the health of the business. In addition, we build end-to-end customer experience for risk assessments.
As a member of the team, you will design, build and launch fraud risk products and features. We build our services over Cash App's ever-evolving infrastructure, and as a senior engineer on the team, you will embrace these changes and scale our tech stack to promote future evolvability. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are critical to the business’s success. You'll be reporting to an Engineering Manager and working on a distributed team with members in the USA, Shanghai and Melbourne.
- Be responsible for designing, building and managing the distributed services that manage Cash App Marketplace fraud risk
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Demonstrate high code quality, good test coverage and other engineering best practices
- Work on impactful, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Collaborate with product, analysts, and modelers on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- Contribute to the growth of our development capabilities through mentoring and supporting fellow engineers
- Bachelor or Masters in computer science or a related field
- 5+ years of backend software development experience, passion for solving business problems with technology and approach creating end-to-end solutions with a ton of autonomy
- Experience with common technologies like Kafka, Redis or Cassandra and curiosity that compels you to learn new technologies, frameworks, and services
- Deep regard for testing and have experience with automated testing frameworks
- Alignment with Cash App's mission of economic empowerment
Tools we use and teach
- Python, Java, Kotlin, React JS
- Kubernetes, AWS
- Datadog, SumoLogic
- Hibernate, MySQL, Cassandra DB, DynamoDB
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Kafka, event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.