Head of Compliance, Clearpay UK
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Clearpay Finance Limited is looking for a Head of Compliance to join our team in the UK. You will report to Block, Inc.’s Head of Compliance for Cash App and to the Board of Directors for Clearpay Finance Limited. You will drive implementation of controls, processes, and required operations related to compliance with applicable consumer credit, AML/CTF, and other regulatory obligations. You will work as an integrated part of our global Compliance team, using the broader organisation and resources to ensure that we maintain an effective compliance program and meet all our regulatory obligations. This role is critical to Clearpay Finance Limited’s success in the UK and will work with colleagues across Compliance, Legal, Policy, Finance, Risk, Internal Audit, Product, and Sales and Marketing.
Should Clearpay apply to the FCA for a consumer credit authorisation in the future, we anticipate that this role will be identified as a Senior Management Function (SMF16, Compliance Oversight Function) for the purposes of the UK Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR). As part of this application we will have to obtain approval from the Financial Conduct Authority for the individual that performs this role. To obtain this approval, we will need to demonstrate that you are qualified and experienced to perform this role, which will require regulatory reference checks, fitness and propriety checks, and potentially additional steps.
This role must be based in the United Kingdom.
- Foster a culture of compliance across the business with a focus on the voice of the consumer, providing positive challenge when required
- Develop compliance processes, and ensure the implementation and appropriate controls that reflect business and regulatory requirements
- Facilitate risk-based compliance programmes designed around relevant consumer protection, consumer credit, and financial crimes compliance regulations
- Build relationships with relevant authorities, including the FCA, to ensure we operate in accordance with industry practice and evolving regulatory guidance
- Ensure accurate responses and reports to the Regulator
- Oversee the operations of the Clearpay Finance Limited Compliance team, including training, and tracking team and individual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) for the programme
- Work with Compliance leads to provide strategic planning, organisational structure, focus areas, and quarterly goals and key results
- Work with all relevant third-party partners, including banks and other financial institution, card networks, merchants, and regulatory authorities
- Stay informed about regulatory and industry developments affecting our business activities whilst ensuring we remain compliant
- Prepare reports to senior management and Board of Directors to communicate all relevant compliance issues and escalate any important or high risk compliance issues
- Work with internal compliance teams (such as Governance, Product Advisory, Quality Control) to identify clear steps necessary to avoid regulatory risks and provide solutions
- 8+ years of experience in a complex financial services firm or related consumer credit institution, with experience required to operate at a Head of Compliance position
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Operational knowledge in building and running a sound compliance programme, with hands-on knowledge and an understanding of regulatory requirements for the UK
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with regulators, senior management, and third-party stakeholders
- Ability to build collaborative working relations with peers, colleagues and with remote based teams with individuals at all levels of the organisation
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.