Lead Software Engineer (Backend), Payouts
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
To foster our Seller’s growth, a consistent cash flow is essential. The Payouts team is responsible for ensuring that Seller’s receive their funds according to their preferences, including when, where and how they want them. We provide platform-level building blocks for the movement of Seller funds on time, every time.
- Design, develop, and maintain the services responsible for tracking and moving billions of dollars for Square and Cash.
- Collaborate with product teams to facilitate Square's rapid expansion of innovative features for our global community of merchants and customers.
- Act as a tech lead to build and maintain a highly scalable, cloud-based, distributed system.
- Ensure high quality deliverables.
- 8+ years of software development experience
- An advanced degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience in designing and productionizing large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with the complete development cycle, from product definition to delivery
- Excellent data modeling and data management skills
- A passion for using your critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills to deliver remarkable solutions to your customers
- The ability to succeed in a collaborative environment partnering with product leaders, other teams and subject matter experts
- Ability to envision a technical approach/solution, socialize it and align partners towards it
- Experience with mentoring and upleveling team members
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure
- Experience working on a large scalable platform.
Technologies we use:
- Languages: Java, Kotlin, Python
- Databases: MySQL, Redis, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch
- Infrastructure: Hybrid - Private DC / AWS , DataDog, Snowflake, Terraform
- Frameworks - SQS, Step Functions, Guice, Guava, jOOQ, Protocol Buffers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Canada locations are categorized into one of two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
CA-A: CAD $167,500.00 - CAD $251,300.00
CA-B: CAD $161,800.00 - CAD $242,600.00
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource.
We have listed some of our common hiring locations. Depending on the cost of labor in the relevant geographic area, state work locations that are approximately 50 Kilometers outside of the metro area listed may be aligned to a different zone. These zones may be modified in the future. Please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
We’ve noticed a rise in recruiting impersonations across the industry, where individuals are sending fake job offer emails. Contact from any of our recruiters or employees will always come from an email address ending with @block.xyz, @squareup.com, @tidal.com, or @afterpay.com, @clearpay.co.uk.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.