Software Engineer, Developer Platform (iOS)
- San Francisco, CA
We started with a simple idea—that everyone should be able to accept credit cards—and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since.
For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back.
Buying and selling sound like simple things—and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Build our iOS platforms to allow the world to build mobile apps on top of Square. The Developer Platform team is responsible for APIs that external developers use to build apps on Square's platform. We provide developers with the tools to create solutions for both existing Square merchants and entirely new customers.
We are a small, focused, and rapidly growing team with an abundance of growth and impact opportunities. Our products and responsibilities include:
- APIs and SDKs for eCommerce and the Register point of sale
- Register API, which allows anyone to take a payment with Square's hardware
- Building open source mobile framework libraries for internal and external consumption
- Enabling all teams in Square to leverage your work and expose all of Square's products to external developers
- More unreleased, high impact, early stage projects
As a mobile software engineer on the Developer Platform team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the mobile infrastructure and customer facing experience for all of the above. You will impact the growth of our products for our merchants, buyers, and developers all over the world.
- Build our Developer Platform, for use by millions of Square Merchants and a key strategic asset of Square.
- Own every facet of Square’s APIs, including developer SDKs, the Square developer portal, and API documentation. The team is very small, and you will be a key early hire.
- Work cross-functionally with our product teams, *many* other engineering teams, and partner developers to design and implement Square’s global developer platform.
- Create open source work, and build up that community
- Have the opportunity to travel to conferences and speak, as well as talk to our platform's third party developers for feedback
- Be part of our well known mobile teams. Work with engineers that wrote Dagger, Wire, Retrofit, OkHttp, Picasso, Leakcanary, Flow, Moshi, SqlBrite, etc.
- Innate curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of building Square's developer platform in a small, highly focused, and very rapidly growing team.
- Understanding and curiosity in creating well thought out mobile infrastructure, SDKs, open source, and APIs.
- Track record of pursuing self directed side projects, research, or open source projects
- You must deeply enjoy writing and shipping production software.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.