Director, Quality Assurance and Food Safety
- Tempe, AZ
Healthy Products from a Healthy Company
At Sun Orchard, we’re passionate about doing things the right way – from creating healthy, delicious juices, beverages and bar mixers, to caring for the health and well-being of our valuable employees, our planet, and the communities where we operate. After more than 26 years, we continue to pride ourselves on delivering safe products to the finest foodservice businesses throughout the US and Canada.
Learn more at www.SunOrchard.com.
Position Summary: Lead development, implementation/updating, training, management, reporting, documentation, and continuous improvement of product quality, food safety, and related production systems, programs, and activities. Directs activities to insure that ingredients and finished products meet company and customer specifications and that operations are in compliance with all local, state and Federal laws. Manage, educate and coach the QA team, while championing a company-wide culture of product quality excellence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish, implement and maintain/update product and process specifications (Quality Standards) and metrics to monitor product and process performance and assure product quality excellence.
- Manage GMP, SSOP and HACCP programs, and implement/manage GFSI (SQF).
- Perform/manage self and third-party audits of facilities, processes, raw materials and products; establish, implement and document corrective actions.
- Implement and maintain a Vendor Quality Management program, including vendor specifications and audit/oversight requirements.
- Investigate, respond to, and document product quality issues.
- Regularly report conformance with Quality Standards to Management.
- Determine and implement employee training needs related to Quality and Food Safety systems.
- Direct quality improvement activities in collaboration with R&D, Operations, Procurement, Customers, and other stakeholders.
- Alert and provide guidance to Management regarding quality issues, customer complaints, and related technical matters.
- Serve as primary corporate Quality representative and customer liaison in Quality matters.
- Act as regulatory agency liaison (with FDA, USDA, state and local agencies in areas of food safety, health, agricultural, and environmental/wastewater compliance); maintain current status of and compliance with related permits, registrations and certifications.
- Administer corporate Recall Policy including maintenance of contact database, and act as corporate Recall Coordinator.
- Establish strategic plans to improve quality and technical capabilities.
- Directly supervises 3 employees in the Quality Assurance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Core Competencies: In order to succeed in this position, an individual must exhibit the following core competencies:
- Knowledgeable of biology, chemistry and analytical methods for evaluating juice/beverage product quality and safety.
- Knowledgeable of US food laws and juice/beverage manufacturing methods.
- Capable of working as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in multiple production locations to assure products meet customer specifications and safety requirements.
- Capable of designing work flows and procedures and directing a technical quality assurance staff in multiple production locations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from four-year college or university, majoring in food science or a related field; MS degree preferred.
- Experience: Minimum ten (10) years progressive experience in Quality Assurance/Control in the food industry that includes a minimum of three (3) years experience with fruit juices and fruit juice beverages, as well as:
- Personnel management experience, preferably in a multi-location environment.
- HACCP certification required; GFSI (SQF practitioner) and/or ASQ Auditor certification strongly preferred
- Detailed working knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations, Good Manufacturing Practices, sanitation, pest control, and food allergens.
- Proficiency with statistical process control, juice and beverage pasteurization and related processes, QA laboratory equipment, analytical/microbiological testing methodologies, and knowledge of juice/beverage sensory and shelf-life evaluation techniques
- Language/Communications: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Reasoning: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Manufacturing software; and general email writing and online research skills.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be frequently exposed moving mechanical parts and forklifts, citrus fumes or airborne particles, and outdoor weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather).
- The noise level in the work environment may be loud.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and sit.
- The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be required to taste and/or smell citrus products and other fruit juices to test for quality and ensure specs are met.
tion will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.