Director, Robotics Test Engineering
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
As a Director of Robotics Test Engineering, you will play a hands-on role in the development of our next generation of mobile robots and conveyor systems that manipulate inventory in warehouses. The qualified candidate will take the lead in constructing an organization and test capability using some assorted existing pieces and through the addition of new processes, capital equipment, and human resources.
The scope of responsibility will include at least the following:
- Establishing test objectives and criteria in conjunction with System Engineering.
- Designing test environments and processes to accomplish the agreed testing goals.
- Designing and constructing or purchasing the needed capital equipment for testing.
- Performing the needed testing for Design Validation of systems and subsystems at each design iteration.
- Gathering the test results and processing them into a usable form.
- Working with System Engineering and Operations to advise the testing approach for manufacturing.
- Acting as an advisor to the broader technical community on system performance parameters and how to view those in light of future roadmap objectives and competition.
- Develop a vision for an organizational model that meets the needs of the business and aligns well with adjacent partner organizations.
- Create and execute the hiring plan .
- Develop a strong test culture with emphasis on sound test development, clarity of goodness metrics, attention to detail, and expert handling of data.
- Form a test infrastructure with emphasis on automated test methods including automated methods for data collection and archiving.
- Day to day the formed team will:
- Design and implement test frameworks for material handling mobile robots and conveyor systems. This will involve dynamic simulation in addition to development of test software to control real hardware.
- Support system testing of systems and subsystems.
- Perform system level debug of hardware/software components for mobile robot platforms.
- Troubleshoot system problems in production or design by investigating issues related to product performance or production difficulties.
- Provide technical support for manufacturing as needed.
- Work in a dynamic Agile/Scrum based environment.
- Minimum of B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, Systems or Computer Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in test engineering for products that have a high degree of hardware and software complexity, preferably robotics.
- At least 5 years’ experience leading or managing others.
- Significant experience in organizational design and culture building.
- Ability to be hands on where needed and able to communicate clearly and credibly.
- Ability to dive deep into data to understand issues that need to be addressed.
- Experience with DFLSS, including DOE methodology.
- Fluency on statistics for data analysis and quality control practices.
- Experience with motion control equipment, material handling systems, or robotics desirable.
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.