Merchandising Manager - Contract
- Toronto, Canada
Quark Expeditions is the world leader in polar adventure travel. Since 1991, Quark has been establishing a tradition of firsts in polar travel: as the first to transit the Northeast Passage with adventure travelers; the first to take travelers to the far side of Antarctica; and the first to circumnavigate the Antarctic continent with guests. Quark Expeditions is a member of TUI Travel PLC , one of the largest and most successful travel and tourism organizations in the world.
TUI Travel is one of the world’s leading leisure travel groups, with over 220 trusted brands in 180 countries and more than 30 million customers. From the most popular holiday brands to an unparalleled collection of independent travel providers and online accommodation businesses, we offer experiences and expertise for every conceivable type of traveler ‘Making travel experiences special’ underpins everything we do and keeps our focus on providing the unrivaled choice, professionalism and confidence our customers and stakeholders can rely on. Naturally, most of the people who are drawn to the leisure travel industry share a passion for travel and our offices are buzzing with driven people who genuinely love what they do.
Quark Expeditions is looking for a Merchandising Manager to join their team. This position will cover the duties and responsibilities of the current Manager while she is out on maternity leave. The position will be for one year.
The Merchandising Manager will own and manage the merchandise P&L, including pricing, staffing, inventory management as well as retail experience on-board our ships as well as online.The Manager will need to utilize industry connections to identify unique and exclusive product assortments. They will be responsible to grow and train merchandise coordinator and our team of boutique sales managers as well as seek out new opportunities to realize efficiencies and grow revenue through on-board boutiques and online.
- Develop annual merchandise business plan including forecasted sales and margin reports, new products, and supporting marketing and promotional activities.
- Recruit, train and provide leadership and guidance to the on-board sales managers and merchandise team. Manage the day-to-day operation of the department in order to achieve sales targets.
- Oversee buying including new product research, sourcing suppliers, reviewing inventory etc.
- Research and study market trends and competitive data to inform new product development groups.
- Oversee management of all warehouse activities for packing and shipping, ongoing communication with port agents, research and decision making for transport of GS merchandise, expedition equipment and parkas to remote locations. Investigate logistics around getting high-end merchandise to ships.
- Work collaboratively with marketing team to design initiatives for the gift shops to showcase and sell the product assortment. Oversee maintenance of bar-code binders and product guides. Establish performance goals for all gift shop managers and monitor performance on a continual basis
- Ensure proper record keeping practices are kept and timely reporting to corporate stakeholder managing and controlling the sales budget.
- Analyze sales and profit
- Minimum three years in retail managerial role (buying, merchandising, POS system, accounting, budgeting and finance).
- Experience in remote retail operations and merchandising, an asset.
- Knowledge of shipboard operations, proficiency in complex customs logistics management, excise and shipping as well as POS systems is essential to this role.