Legal Reporter (Tax Notes Today)
- Falls Church, VA
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- pet friendly and relaxed dress code -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Our staff enjoys free covered parking, free coffee and tea, and exercise room with showers, and a working environment that embraces team collaboration and innovation. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community.
We are committed to providing a workplace that offers family-friendly policies and a flexible atmosphere that caters to the needs of working professionals. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package. Tax Analysts is a CAREing Company.
Works independently, often from various locations, to write tax-related news stories by attending scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events. Creates in-depth reporting based on judicial and administrative developments related to U.S. tax law. Conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Cultivates sources and follows leads to scoop industry competitors. Develops a particular area of technical tax expertise to identify trends and spot the news.
- Attends, writes, and reports on scheduled federal tax-related events with government speakers, Congressional hearings, court decisions, industry press conferences, and other events as assigned with ability to tailor writing style as appropriate.
- Writes and develops news stories and analytical articles for print and electronic publications. Able to grasp and cover complex tax topics, including from new regulatory guidance and judicial decisions, frequently under deadline pressure, zeroing in on what matters without dumbing it down. Proactively seeks out story ideas while balancing daily assignments.
- Identifies, tracks, and prioritizes developments in assigned beat to ensure competitive coverage in print and online. Helps out team, but is independent and motivated.
- Collects information by regularly speaking with top practitioners and government officials, attending industry events, obtaining relevant source material, and researching tips and leads.
- Communicates story ideas, provides updates on writing assignments, and responds promptly to queries during editing process.
- Some travel to cover tax-related events in other cities required.
- Adheres to established publication deadlines and style protocols (daily deadline is generally 5 PM)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Solid grounding in tax law fundamentals; ability to wade through complicated topics to identify insights valuable to our subscribers
- Strong writing skills with an attention to detail and diligent sourcing essential
- Superior communication skills to effectively interact and develop source relationships with top government officials and their staffs, academics, lobbyists, and tax practitioners
- Ability to write clearly and quickly under daily deadline pressure and work as a team to adjust to changing priorities
- Beat reporting experience a plus
- Must be able to use a laptop to connect to network remotely, follow-up promptly with email inquiries from editors (particularly when working remotely), and transfer stories in a timely manner
- Must be capable of aggressively pursuing all angles of a given story
- Demonstrated dependability through punctual attendance (in corporate office or at assigned events)
- J.D. required, LL.M. preferred, advanced degree required in related field
- Proficiency with MS Windows, Word, and Internet searching
- Must be willing to travel
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.