Lead Software Developer
- Montreal, QC, Canada
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries.
Our status as a world-class visual effects facility has been achieved through the development of industry-leading software, which empowers our artists to create stunning visual effects. MPC has a rich history of technical innovation. We recognise that it’s the partnership of leading creativity and technology that delivers spectacular results. We are committed to technology in service of creativity and are constantly exploring new approaches to deliver higher quality. We have a talented team and many of the leading technologists in the industry started their careers at MPC.
Our Software team combines award winning, third party software with our own tools and technologies to create powerful and innovative solutions to the most challenging visual effects requirements. Our developers create software, which addresses the needs of clients in today’s constantly evolving visual effects environment.
**You can see the result of our software being put through it’s paces as part of our stunning film showreel containing work completed in 2017 - the link’s at the end of this page**
We are looking for a Lead Software Developer for our visual effects toolset to provide direction in our Montreal based Production Technology team. The chosen candidate will lead the charge in providing award-winning technical solutions to creative challenges and ensure the overall success and timely delivery of some of the most technically challenging and widely recognized movies in production today.
Working hand-in-hand with our artists, the chosen candidate will contribute to the tools and technologies used to create the stunning imagery of our films. At MPC Film, we work in a highly dynamic environment, which requires a cool head, creative thinking, and pragmatic problem-solving skills. The team needs someone who is able to take initiative, develop software of the highest quality, and think beyond the scope of each development task. Our environment thrives on the ability to communicate complex problems in a simple form to team members, stakeholders, and all the way through to the users of the system. We require our developers to support the full life-cycle of our software projects, from design to maintenance, while constantly improving the software to address new challenges!
- Work with a local team as well as remote members to ensure that implementations are consistent with overall Software department strategy.
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
- Communicate tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
- Design and architect cutting edge tools and technologies while maintaining existing stack.
- Build relationships with key artists and production staff.
Skills and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Experience leading a team and experience of being responsible for delivering large projects successfully.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a Technical Animation Degree.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ and Python. Lua a bonus.
- Expert with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Advanced knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Maya, Katana, Houdini and/or Nuke.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Highly committed, passionate and able to lead and inspire a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning, sharing and mentoring.
- Extremely organized with good communication skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Deadline orientated and ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and highly pressure environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.