LIVESTOCK FACILITY TECHNICIAN- #14-444-1R
- Austin, TX
The Texas Legislature established the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) in 1907. The agency's key objectives are to promote production agriculture, consumer protection, economic development and healthy living. The agriculture commissioner oversees the agency and is elected every four years. The current commissioner, Todd Staples, was first elected in 2006 and re-elected to a second term in 2010.
TDA is a diversified state agency that provides value-added services through our regulatory and marketing and initiatives. TDA is headquartered in Austin and has five regional service offices, two sub-offices, three laboratories and five livestock export facilities.
Mission: TDA’s mission is to partner with all Texans to make Texas the nation's leader in agriculture, fortify our economy, empower rural communities, promote healthy lifestyles, and cultivate winning strategies for rural, suburban and urban Texas through exceptional service and the common threads of agriculture in our daily lives.
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Maintenance Specialist III
SALARY: A11, $2,145-2,445.00/MO
CLASSIFICATION NO: 9043 FLSA: Nonexempt
JOB OBJECTIVE: Perform maintenance duties at a Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) livestock export facility to contribute to the thorough, safe and timely inspection of livestock for export from Texas to international buyers, in strict accordance with regulations prescribed by the State of Texas and international export requirements.
- Work closely with the Livestock Export Pen Operator and the Director for Commodity Reporting and Livestock Export Pens in planning maintenance improvements to meet the needs of the livestock brokers and shippers who use the livestock export facility.
- Assist in unloading, feeding and watering, inspections and loading of livestock coming into and out of the livestock export facility.
- Clean and disinfect the livestock pens when livestock leave the facility.
- Complete various maintenance duties at the facility, including welding, plumbing, mowing lawns, painting stock panels, repairing rusted pipes and other metal works, maintaining equipment and cleaning the office.
- Purchase materials needed for maintenance improvements, strictly following the purchasing guidelines set by TDA and the State of Texas.
- Attend pen personnel meetings on an annual basis to stay current on safety standards and TDA policies.
- Provide fair, courteous and consistent treatment to facility users.
- Follow agency safety and animal care requirements and remain aware of proper first aid procedures.
- Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
- Follow all TDA safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS (The application must specifically state how each of the following qualifications are met):
- Graduation from a high school or the equivalent;
- Work experience handling livestock;
- Experience operating livestock-handling equipment including tractors, front-end loaders, hydraulic loading ramps, high-pressure spray equipment, welding machine or cutting torch;
- Valid Texas driver’s license and an acceptable driving record*; and
- Required to travel up to 20% of the work period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (The application must specifically state how each of the following qualifications are met):
- Effective verbal and written communication, human relations and organizational skills;
- Skill in providing customer service excellence to both internal and external customers;
- Skill in operating a personal computer with word processing, database and spreadsheet software;
- Skill in welding and plumbing;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet strict deadlines while maintaining extreme attention to detail;
- Ability to adapt successfully and quickly to change and deliver quality results in a timely manner;
- Ability to plan, organize and work independently, as well as within a tem environment;
- Ability to operate a lawn mower and weed eater;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion; and
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Ability to speak, read and write English and Spanish.
ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL CONDITIONS: Involves working irregular hours, including occasional weekends; working outdoors and exposure to extreme temperatures; remaining stationary for long periods of time and being mobile on rough concrete; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping and bending; safely climbing; safely lifting items up to 65 pounds; and handling livestock. Involves safely operating lawn maintenance equipment, tractors, front-end loaders, welding equipment and safely operating a state vehicle for official business; and travel, occasionally overnight.
A skills exercise will be conducted at the time of the interview.
This position will be located at 3902 Jamie Zapata Memorial Highway, Laredo, TX. 78046
* A valid Texas driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required.
TDA will verify this information with the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The Texas Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability in recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention or any other personnel action or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities which it sponsors. Applicants should communicate requests for disability-related accommodations during the application process to our Human Resources Office at 512-463-7648.
1-800-RELAY TX (for hearing impaired).
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
As part of the employment process, TDA may conduct a driving and criminal background check. Unsatisfactory information relevant to the position may disqualify the applicant from employment.
Only applicants interviewed will be notified of their selection or non-selection. Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application.
Website: www.TexasAgriculture.gov Email: " target="_blank">
TDA participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
* E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
* E-Verity Participation Poster (Spanish)
* Right to Work Poster (English)
* Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
For more information about registering with Work in Texas and submitting an electronic application, you can refer to the Frequently Asked Questions on the WorkinTexas website. Questions directly related to the job posting may be directed to TDA’s Applicant Services Office at (512) 463-7648.
TDA participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. * E-Verify Participation Poster (English) * E-Verity Participation Poster (Spanish) * Right to Work Poster (English) * Right to Work Poster (Spanish)