Director of Marketing and Communications
- 2700 Horizon Dr, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
We are the leading organization dedicated to ending the most common form of dementia under 60, known as FTD. We help families affected today, and drive research to bring hope for the future.
AFTD was founded by a volunteer in 2002. Empowering families to bring about change and make a difference in the lives of others in their communities is central to everything we do. We raise awareness to tell the world about a devastating, little known disease. We educate health professionals, helping them to provide responsive care in their communities. We fund leading-edge science and work with leading biopharma companies to advance research.
We value knowledge, compassion, collaboration, respect, and dignity. Our work to bring about a world without dementia is only missing your passion and your expertise. AFTD stands at a pivotal moment for the organization. We are growing rapidly, with a greater ability to offer help for those affected than ever before. By applying for this essential role, you can take the next step in your career – and truly make a difference for others.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is directly responsible for providing leadership that ensures AFTD’s marketing and communications strategies engage our growing and passionate rare disease community with a goal of elevating the organization’s national visibility and raising awareness of FTD and supporting AFTD’s mission goals and overall sustainability. The Director will keep informed of best practices in nonprofit marketing and communications and ensure that these are applied proactively and thoroughly to the full range of our organization’s external communications. They will lead a staff of professionals responsible for developing, implementing, and sustaining a marketing strategy and a powerful and cohesive communications program that will support AFTD’s rapid growth and inform more families, health professionals, researchers, and other potential supporters about both FTD and our organization. This staff will serve critical dual roles as provider of services to content expert “clients” within the organization, as well as holder of the brand and QC on all AFTD collateral products and information/publications.
Essential Job Functions
- Marketing and Communications - Strategy: Develop the marketing and communications strategy and roadmap that is breakthrough and compelling to our target audiences. Ensures cohesive messaging and branding that supports and reflects AFTD’s unique programs that is aligned with the organization and community culture. Perform and consistently update SWOT analysis that highlights strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats impacting Marketing and Communication. Keep leadership apprised of developments and changes. Ensure plans, team structure, resourcing and initiatives are aligned to the AFTD strategy and address risks and opportunities identified in SWOT analysis.
- Marketing and Communications - Delivery: Develop and manage annual and potentially multi-year marketing, communications, and public relations plan, to include strategies, tactics, goals, benchmarks, and budget, focused on spreading awareness of FTD and elevating AFTD’s national and global visibility. In collaboration with the Senior Director of Advancement, mentor staff members with a focus on their growth, and contract with, hire and onboard talent to successfully deliver on identified strategies. Manage and report on marketing and communications programs, employing project management best practices and ensuring accountability to timelines, deliverables, and metrics. Mentor AFTD’s Content and Media Relations Manager in successful and proactive PR and media engagement efforts. Support team members as necessary on content development and editing. Build in best practices for identifying, addressing, and escalating potential barriers to success. Ensure that AFTD’s website, social, and other digital platforms position the organization for proactive engagement and inform how these platforms integrate effectively with AFTD’s CRM to ensure successful, proactive inbound (as well as targeted outbound) marketing efforts. Serve as an effective partner to identified leads from AFTD’s development, fundraising, research, program, operations, and volunteer teams, ensuring that the needs of these internal stakeholders are reflected proactively and with appropriate sensitivity.
- Knowledge and Understanding: Actively seek information and build knowledge and understanding of the needs of our target audience and apply this knowledge to AFTD’s marketing, communications and public relations strategies and tactics. Ensure understanding of the environment AFTD is operating within and the ability to identify new influences or trends as they emerge. Help AFTD’s Senior Management Team and Board understand and evaluate these factors to plot a course with an awareness of opportunities and threats. Work collegially with other members of the AFTD team to ensure that work is integrated across the full mission. As AFTD grows, model collaboration, effective communication, and transparency for the rest of the organization.
- Functional Management: Manage AFTD’s Marketing and Communications budget, planning, staffing, performance reviews and professional development of direct reports. In partnership with departmental and organizational leadership, foster and promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and learning through ongoing professional development, mentoring, and collaboration.
Other Job Functions
- Represent AFTD, staying informed on national-level and (as assigned) global activities in the dementia space. Collaborate with internal teams to ensure AFTD is presenting a coordinated/unified persona, values, and priorities to the external world.
- Conscientiously follow company policies and practices and takes care of organizational property.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel for organizational meetings and events as needed.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities for the following roles:
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Communications Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred in: Marketing, Communications, business, or related degree or equivalent advanced degree experience
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible marketing and/or communications management experience, including at least 5 years of work in the nonprofit space, with a preference for dementia or healthcare experience and a demonstrated track record of success
- Demonstrated experience managing staff
- Proven ability to develop and execute breakthrough marketing and communications programs and branding campaigns that reach hearts and minds to take action
- Strong, current working knowledge of nonprofit organizations and the community impacted by disease states preferred
- Deep critical thinking and structured problem-solving/analysis skills with ability to develop frameworks for evaluating and recommending cross-functional options and solutions
- A customer service mindset for both internal and external stakeholders, with demonstrated experience in using best practices in project management to drive successful marketing and communications.
- Demonstrated business acumen, especially in setting priorities, creating efficiencies, leveraging opportunities, and developing plans to define and achieve success
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, along with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels in various fields online, by phone and in person
- Proven ability to handle issues confidentially, and to be discrete and fair
- Strong attention to detail required
- Exceptional ability in full Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient in and comfort utilizing web-video platforms, e.g., Zoom
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible to work on a wide variety of projects; lending support where needed
- Ability to approach work with a pleasant and professional demeanor
Travel requirements = approximately 10%
Domestic air travel as well as a valid driver’s license and ability to drive to meeting locations
In compliance with CDC, federal, state, and local guidelines, all staff members are currently permitted to work either from home or from the AFTD office. Following office reopenings, this position will be office-based.
AFTD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) guidelines.
If you are interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.