Marketing & Advertising Web Designer
- Chicago, IL
Onion Inc. is an American multimedia news organization. It features satirical articles and reporting on international, national, and local news as well as an entertainment newspaper and website known as A.V. Club.
The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined. It parodies traditional newspaper and media features, such as editorials, man-on-the-street interviews, and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP-style editorial voice. Much of its humor depends on presenting everyday events as newsworthy items, and by playing on commonly used phrases, as in the headline, "Drugs Win Drug War”.
In addition, a second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section called A.V. Club. A.V. Club features interviews and reviews of various newly released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also contains restaurant reviews and previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V. Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features, A.V. Club blogs, reader forums/comments, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.
The Onion, America’s Finest News Source, is looking for a confident, assertive, and experienced Sales Marketing Designer for our Chicago office. Candidates will work directly with our Product, Tech, and National Sales departments, taking ownership of a variety of in-house and client-based projects. Potential candidates should demonstrate a solid understanding of design tools*. Moreover, the most competitive candidates will display a strong understanding of the Onion’s unique brand and readership.
- Designing both print & online ad campaigns, which includes collaborating with National Sales account executives, assisting in ground-up production, tweaking existing designs, or verifying the design work of a representing agency or external designer.
- Assisting in the build out of custom feature sections on the site.
- Any and all other assigned projects or tasks, including Business and Content design projects, or other collaborative or longer-term projects important to broader Onion initiatives.
- Highly organized and able to work to work on a strict deadline.
- Must be able to work with client feedback and critique and be able to turn around revisions on tight deadlines.
- Must have experience working and designing in Keynote, as candidate will work closely with the sales and marketing teams.
- Has an eye for clean design, smart application of Onion tone, and attention to detail. Understands the importance of using design to solve problems associated with advertising and marketing.
- Can work well in a group, but can also suggest new, creative ideas when needed.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Flash; working knowledge of HTML/CSS strongly preferred.
Ideal candidates will have 1-2 years experience in web design coupled with a college track in advertising or marketing. Candidates who have design experience in a publication or production-related corporate environment, or those with freelance design experience will be strongly considered.
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer compensation commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K.