- Chicago, IL
Onion Inc. is an American multimedia news organization. It features satirical articles and reporting on international, national, and local news as well as an entertainment newspaper and website known as A.V. Club.
The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined. It parodies traditional newspaper and media features, such as editorials, man-on-the-street interviews, and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP-style editorial voice. Much of its humor depends on presenting everyday events as newsworthy items, and by playing on commonly used phrases, as in the headline, "Drugs Win Drug War”.
In addition, a second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section called A.V. Club. A.V. Club features interviews and reviews of various newly released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also contains restaurant reviews and previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V. Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features, A.V. Club blogs, reader forums/comments, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.
The Onion is looking for a highly organized managerial leader in Chicago. We need someone who's optimistic, flexible and cool under pressure to manage our fast-paced operation, juggle multiple projects across diverse platforms (video, print, online, social media, and stage), oversee staff (both full-time and freelance), develop product schedules, and harness the immense potential of our highly creative team. This person will work closely with our Editor to keep things running smoothly under intense deadlines while maintaining our company's singular creative vision.
Job responsibilities will include:
• Effectively manage creative staff and freelance resources, delegating responsibilities to ensure that both creative and business goals are met
• Maintain project budgets
• Manage daily, weekly, monthly, yearly schedules, assignments, and goals
• Oversee and enforce deadlines
• Hire, train, and fire staff members in conjunction with Editor
• Work with Editor and HR to set policies for creative staff
• Manage major creative initiatives
• Work with managers in other departments to achieve company-wide objectives
• Develop, implement and continually improve new organizational systems and production processes
• Expert organizational/planning skills
• Natural leadership skills
• Ability to adjust quickly to changing situations
• Deft touch for handling the comedy world's unique personalities
• Passion for our comedic voice
• Positive, ambitious attitude that continually sees new possibilities and areas for growth
• Well-versed knowledge of Mac-based computing, Google web products, and mobile formats
• Keen eye for web analytics
• Voracious appetite to stay current on industry innovations and trends--not just what's popular, but what works
We offer compensation commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K.
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested and qualified applicants should apply online. Please, no phone calls.