AV Club Film Editor
- Suite 200
Onion Inc. is an American multimedia news organization. It features satirical articles and reporting on international, national, and local news as well as an entertainment newspaper and website known as A.V. Club.
The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined. It parodies traditional newspaper and media features, such as editorials, man-on-the-street interviews, and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP-style editorial voice. Much of its humor depends on presenting everyday events as newsworthy items, and by playing on commonly used phrases, as in the headline, "Drugs Win Drug War”.
In addition, a second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section called A.V. Club. A.V. Club features interviews and reviews of various newly released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also contains restaurant reviews and previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V. Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features, A.V. Club blogs, reader forums/comments, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.
The A.V. Club, the pop-culture wing of The Onion, is looking for a Film Editor to work in our Chicago office. The full-time position entails writing, assigning, and editing all of our film/DVD reviews and film-related features, as well as supervising contributors. The most competitive candidates will display a strong understand of, and passion for, The A.V. Club's voice and readership.
Job responsibilities include
- Writing/editing features
- Supervising staff reviewers and freelance contributors
- Gathering film assets (photos, screeners) for reviews
- Staying current on release dates and having a strong sense for which films warrant reviewing
- Working with senior editors and larger AVC editorial staff to plan, brainstorm, and execute editorial ideas
- Conceiving new film-feature ideas
- Continually searching for new contributors
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Passion for arts and entertainment, and a particularly strong knowledge of film.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Passable Mac and web-publishing skills.
- Five or more years of professional editorial experience, preferably in film writing/criticism.
- A knowledge of and passion for The A.V. Club's voice and style.
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Those interested should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing/editing samples. Please, no phone calls or office visits.