- 7th Floor
Onion, Inc. is the parent company of some of the most respected and widely-read publications in digital media. Founded in 1988, the company established itself as a web pioneer in the mid-'90s when The Onion and its sister pop-culture publication, The A.V. Club, were some of the first well-known print products to start online incarnations. Today, Onion, Inc.'s websites reach more than 11 million unique visitors every month, an increase of almost 30 percent year-over-year.
We're an agile team of flexible, passionate coders, and our websites deliver a combined 100 million pageviews per month. As we have a small team, it's important that we produce simple, reliable, well-tested code, and we're looking for an enthusiastic, experienced developer to help us in that mission.
We provision and maintain our own servers with Ansible. For storage, we use Postgres and ElasticSearch. Our sites are powered by Django, and we have a CMS built with AngularJS. The front end of our site is built with HTML5, jQuery, LESS, and all the jQuery plugins you know and love. Our code is hosted on github.
We're looking for someone with:
- Passion; loves computers and programming, takes an interest and thinks about things even outside working hours.
- Intellect; able to grasp very complex computing concepts, able to develop very sophisticated code, able to do “the hard stuff”.
- Energy; productive, motivated, strong work ethic, gets a lot of work done in the available working time.
- Humility; recognizes that other people are smart and have great ideas and knowledge, respects relationships more than technology.
If this sounds like you (or you have questions), we'd love to hear from you! In your cover letter, please include:
- Some background on your favorite technologies, and what you've built with them.
- A link where we can see some of your code (ours is at https://github.com/theonion).
- A link to your favorite Onion article.
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer compensation commensurate with experience, and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K.
Interested applicants should apply online. Please, no phone calls.