The Onion is truly one of a kind. It is among the most influential and respected media companies in the world, and its websites are the preferred digital destination for millions of millennials seeking the highest quality comedy and pop culture content, complemented by the most compelling—and entertaining—native advertising campaigns. The Company’s digital properties, The Onion, The A.V. Club and ClickHole, have leveraged a shared sensibility for creating smart content that attracts a dream audience for advertisers. Together the sites reach a monthly audience of more than 25MM unique visitors and over 12 million social followers.
As the media landscape has morphed, over the past decade, The Onion has transformed itself—and thrived. Onion Labs, the Company’s in-house content marketing team, has capitalized on the franchise’s award-winning creative teams and outsized social network to craft content solutions for a wide array of blue-chip advertisers.
The Onion, which began as a humble college tabloid in Madison, WI, completed its transition to all-digital publishing in 2013. The Onion is the premier satirical comedy brand providing content to the most highly coveted cohort—young, educated, employed, conspicuously consuming, influential, highly social and utterly engaged.
Working with the Social Marketing team, the Community Manager will be encouraged to think creatively and take initiative, while collaborating with different departments within the Onion, Inc. The ideal candidate should have strong writing skills, familiarity in the latest trends/topics/platforms in social media, a comfort with analytics, and a confident approach to engaging digital audiences. Understanding the "internet" is a must.
- Posting across all platforms on a daily basis (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.)
- Reporting on performance of all posts per weekly meeting
- Updating social following documents, scheduling posts, engaging in new platform trials
- Understand balance of when to respond to commentary/engaged users on social media
- Manage Onion, Inc's social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.)
- Identify errors, feature requests, and reaction points through observations / interactions with our audience
- Find creative and proactive ways to help push content out further among our audience and inform the community of new features, launches, promotions, etc.
- Identify and engage super-users and evangelists
- Monitor our platform for off-brand content
- Stay on top of community trends and prepare reports of user activity, support, and social media metrics
- Work with other Community Managers to ensure harmony between our own verticals
- Identify, reach out to, and maintain relationships with Community Managers at industry similar companies
- Ability to "get the internet" and the culture surrounding it
- Proven record of understanding digital landscape, with a strong ability to communicate and leverage interpersonal skills both on and offline.
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer compensation commensurate with experience, a lucrative bonus plan, and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K. The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer.