Copy Editor, Onion Inc.
- Chicago, IL
The Onion is truly one of a kind. It is among the most influential and respected media companies in the world, and its websites are the preferred digital destination for millions of millennials seeking the highest quality comedy and pop culture content, complemented by the most compelling—and entertaining—native advertising campaigns. The Company’s digital properties, The Onion, The A.V. Club and ClickHole, have leveraged a shared sensibility for creating smart content that attracts a dream audience for advertisers. Together the sites reach a monthly audience of more than 25MM unique visitors and over 12 million social followers.
As the media landscape has morphed, over the past decade, The Onion has transformed itself—and thrived. Onion Labs, the Company’s in-house content marketing team, has capitalized on the franchise’s award-winning creative teams and outsized social network to craft content solutions for a wide array of blue-chip advertisers.
The Onion, which began as a humble college tabloid in Madison, WI, completed its transition to all-digital publishing in 2013. The Onion is the premier satirical comedy brand providing content to the most highly coveted cohort—young, educated, employed, conspicuously consuming, influential, highly social and utterly engaged.
Onion Inc. is seeking a copy editor at our Chicago headquarters.
The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented but be able to work under tight deadlines, will have outstanding proofreading and fact-checking abilities, will be able to communicate with and wrangle multiple contributors at once, and will be an avid consumer of celebrity and tabloid culture. Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.
- fact-checking articles and other content
- ensuring perfect spelling, grammar, and adherence to the in-house style guide
- coordinating and scheduling editorial deadlines with staff and freelance contributors
- providing general editorial support as needed
- occasionally pitching and producing content for the site as needed
- BA/BS degree
- the ability to meet tight deadlines while maintaining high editorial standards
- strong understanding of grammar and style, and the ability to edit while maintaining author's tone
- strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop relationships with offsite writers
- strong writing skills
- familiarity with CMS platforms
- previous experience with copy editing, proofreading, and/or fact-checking a plus
- familiarity with celebrity and tabloid gossip sites also a plus
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer compensation commensurate with experience, a lucrative bonus plan, and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K. The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer.