Senior AWS Engineer
- 1133 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036, USA
RockCreek is a leading global investment management firm that applies data-driven technology and innovation to sustainable investing. Its portfolio managers invest in emerging markets and alternatives, and its asset allocation teams invest in multi-asset class and outsourced CIO portfolios and customized solutions. RockCreek’s client base is made up of sophisticated institutional investors, including endowments, foundations, pension plans, and sovereign funds. The firm is highly focused on the integration of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors and sustainable impact across portfolios to generate long-term returns. RockCreek has a culture of diversity, debate and relentless drive to excel.
While our core competency is investment, we value our technology as a key part of our service offerings. We are currently consolidating our data assets into a large data lake on AWS and providing a variety of API and programmatic access patterns. We are committed to best-of-breed applications, automation, and solutions for managing funds and portfolios across our broad range of investment offerings.
RockCreek is looking for a Senior AWS Engineer to architect and manage our rapidly expanding set of cloud-based tools and applications. This position will be responsible for the RockCreek AWS cloud infrastructure for all data and applications. We employ an AWS Landing Zone (https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/aws-landing-zone/) multi-account architecture, and are migrating from a traditional IaaS relational data store to a hybrid of relational data and unstructured data using S3 and a data lake. The ideal candidate will lead this effort, manage the project and its resources, make recommendations for improvements, and ensure that our infrastructure is secure, compliant, monitored, and still usable by our development team.
Although travel is not expected to be frequent, the Senior AWS Engineer may need to visit our New York office and occasionally interact with partner organizations. Travel for continuing education is also a key part of this role.
- Previous experience operating and troubleshooting AWS environments, especially ones that host web and multi-tier applications
- Demonstrable CloudFormation stacks that minimally stand up:
- Public and private VPCs, each with multiple subnets
- Bastion hosts and hub-and-spoke networks
- SNS and SES stores
- S3 buckets using encryption at rest
- Experience with the following AWS services:
- RDS (preferably PostgreSQL and SQL Server)
- S3 Lifecycle management policies
- Bash (or equivalent) shell scripting
- High proficiency in written and verbal English communication skills
- Knowledge of AWS reference architectures, particularly in the context of:
- API Gateway
- Lambda functions and triggers from other AWS managed services
- Application development in an Agile environment, with daily standups and ticketing
- AWS and/or Google Cloud certifications (especially the Certified Solutions Architect track in AWS)
- Experience in investment applications or working with the investment and/or financial industry
RockCreek is a leading global investment management firm that applies data-driven technology and innovation to sustainable investing. We believe sustainability and diversity generate superior performance by investing in long term value. We have stable and long‐term partnerships with our clients and companies and attract the best mission‐oriented team. Sustainable investing extends throughout our investments, our diverse team and culture, our office environment, operations and travel.
Since our founding, RockCreek’s commitment to sustainable investing, long term value creation, and good governance has begun at home. We believe RockCreek’s entrepreneurial spirit, open culture, and diverse team lead to better investments on behalf of the universities, foundations, pension plans, and sovereign funds that partner with us. The way we operate our offices, procure services, and partner with stakeholders are all in keeping with our aim to have a positive impact on markets globally and reduce our carbon footprint. This strong stable culture values diversity and inclusion as well as a commitment to investing responsibly for long term returns. RockCreek is among the largest woman-founded firms in the world. Its founders have a deep commitment to sustainability as well as long experience with sustainable impact investing and ESG policies that date back to 1980s. This includes investing in energy, health, technology and financial inclusion.
RockCreek is a collaborative environment that values openness, transparency, partnership, and knowledge sharing. In a typical day you will interact with members of all of our teams; engineering is neither siloed nor cut off from the overall RockCreek business. You should be both interested and capable of learning the investment business as it relates to engineering, and creatively looking to enhance the overall RockCreek service offerings.